Chapter 19 ~ Home Sweet Home

Shane’s POV

I woke up early that morning; since my body was all scrunched up in the small hospital chair. Sitting up and stretching every part of me, I heard any cracks and pops before getting up and heading to the cafeteria.

My stomach was screaming at me to eat, since I hadn’t for the past couple days. The only reason I was going to eat right now is because I knew Jada was up and able to eat for herself.

I picked up a packaged sandwich, a bag of chips, and a bottle of water before handing the lunch lady my money and walking back to Jada’s room. I easily made a make shift table and started to eat my food on it.

It wasn’t that bad not eating for a few days, due to the fact I was used to it from Cooper. Still the food I had just finished was amazing in my stomach.

I rolled the wrappers and garbage into a ball and shot it like a basketball into the garbage can. Sighing in frustration I got up and picked the ball up off the ground and threw it I the trash properly.

When I went back to sit down, I noticed Jada was awake staring up at the ceiling. I walked up to the window and watched her silently, making sure not to make a sound. Although I didn’t do a very good job; as I was watching her she turned her head away from the ceiling to make eye contact with me.

I don’t know why but I quickly ducked down below the window hiding from her. I know I was acting like such a child.

I waited a couple minutes before slowly rising up to check if she was still looking. As if it was my lucky day she still was and we locked eyes once again. My mind went blank and I didn’t know what to do other than stare back.

She motioned with her hand for me to come in, but I was frozen in my spot. A reassuring smile slowly formed on her lips and that was what I needed to start functioning again.

Taking the steps to her room slowly, I finally made it in, nervously closing the door behind me, I didn’t move an inch closer after I got in the room. Instead I stayed glued to the door.

I hated to admit it nit, a little part of me was scared of her.

I knew what she was capable of, Cooper being a perfect example.

“Are you just going to stand there like a statue?” she spoke softly, a small smile back on her lips.

I cautiously walked to her bed, sliding a chair beside it, before sitting down. Carefully Jada slid her body up, trying to get in a comfier position. Looking like she was having trouble, I reached out to help her but she swatted my hands away, managing by herself.

“I don’t need help with everything, I can do it by myself,” she snapped, making me flinch.

“Oh okay, sorry,” I whispered, looking down at the floor.

“No,” she whispered, slipping her hand in mine. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for everything. For yelling at everyone yesterday, for getting shot again even though I promised Quinn I wouldn’t, for threatening to kill myself. I did everything wrong.”

“Are you kidding?! You did nothing wrong!” I exclaimed.

“Look at me, I’m paralyzed.”

“That may be, but the only thing I see is the hero you’ve become. You not only saved us, but you saved all the kids who could have become Cooper’s future victims. You put away a criminal and made the world a better place. To me and almost everyone else, you are a hero who did everything right,” I breathed, getting tired from my long speech.