Chapter 17 ~ I Won't End Up Like You

Chapter 17 - I Won't End Up Like You

Jada’s POV

I woke up to an unusual feeling. My body felt so weightless and free, yet I was laying down on the ground. Peering my eyes open, I found myself staring up at the clear blue sky. I furrowed my brows when I realized that I was lying on grass in the middle of nowhere.

Slowly lifting my head I realized I was in some forest, surrounded by trees, grass, and bushes. There was not a thing in sight. I carefully got up off the ground, my body feeling as light as a feather.

I had no idea where I was and how I got here.

Instead of just wondering where I was, I decided to search the area in hope of finding someone. I started down a dirt path that lead deeper into the forest, finding that the further I went the more I found faint small footprints in the dirt.

I began to walk faster, the thought of finding someone making my adrenaline pump and my body work faster. I was so confused as to why there were no people, not even sounds inside the forest.

Only me and a bunch of trees.

After a while I started to speed up and was eventually running as fast as my feet could take me. The further I went the more noticeable the prints were getting.

It felt like I had been running for forever and I was ready to collapse onto the ground, when I bursted through a bunch of trees and found myself standing in a field of hills. Again there was nothing in sight except a large oak tree in the middle of the field.

I collapsed onto the ground, feeling the cool grass on my back as I stared up at the sky. My panting was in sync with my heart rate, but eventually I started to calm down and was breathing was normal.

I sat up right, looking down at the ground as I ripped at the pieces of grass. I began to feel depressed as the thought of being alone sank in. I was just so confused as to why I was alone. I should be in that creepy building that Cooper was holding us in.

But that wasn't the confusing part; the fact that I felt like I was five pounds heavy was. It just didn't make any sense!

As I sat there on the ground pulling the grass out of the ground, I thought I heard the sound of voices from far away. Looking up I search around and still saw no one. It must have been my imagination but as I looked down at the ground again I thought I heard the voices again, but louder.

Looking up again, thinking I would see nothing, I was surprised and dumbfounded to see two girls --around my age-- walking my way from out behind the giant oak tree. I blinked my eyes over and over again concluding it was just my imagination, but each time I opened my eyes I saw the two girls and more kids following behind them.

I slowly got up off the ground as they came closer to me making sure to stay still, so they wouldn't do anything to me. Each step they took forward I took a step backward making sure there was a lot of distance between us. The girl in the front leading the group seemed to notice my tactics, making her to start to speed up along with the rest of the group.

I quickly turned on my heel getting ready to get out of here and away from them.

“Please wait!” shouted one of the girls making me stop abruptly and turn back around.

As I turned back around I saw that most of them were only a few feet away, and if I wanted to run it would the right time to do it now. Although if I stuck around I could finally get some answers.

So I stood there waiting until they were only inches away from me. It looked like there were over fifty teenagers standing in front of me; which frightened me if I tried running away.