Chapter 8: Let's head back

About a couple of hours passed.
Lumine and Paimon were having a meeting with Verr Goldet and her husband to discuss the recent and future issues to occur in Wangshu Inn.

—————

It was about time that both lumine and Paimon head back to Liyue to report to Katheryne. Qiqi had already gone back right after she eats as Baizhu needed her.

The elevator in Wangshu Inn is one of the most interesting architects there. The way it functioned is convenient and uncomplicated. Being able to see the landscape while it brings people up and down to their preferred floor—that indeed fascinated both Lumine and Paimon.

They head out of the elevator and continue walking down the stairs towards the bridge. Turning around one last time to convey their farewell, looking at the artistic construction of Wangshu Inn; it has been quite a meaningful yet rather uncanny experience.

They smiled as they walked away giving one last glance.

"—!!"

All of a sudden, Xiao appeared right in front of them with his mask slowly disappearing from his face.

"Hm. Setting off to the next destination without a farewell I see" He folded his arms. Lumine gulped silently in guilt realizing that he was disappointed.

"I didn't know where you were... I'm sorry. We're heading to Liyue now...." Lumine had to lie as she accidentally forgets about him.

"Nyehehe, don't tell me Xiao misses Lu—" Paimon grinned. Unfortunately, Paimon wasn't able to complete Lumine's name as she immediately felt danger coming towards her.

He glared at Paimon with his menacing look. Paimon felt chills as she quickly flew behind Lumine's back.

"...that's a pity...but I shall accompany you as I deal in death and it is my duty to protect." Xiao looks back at Lumine assuring her safety.

"He has an interest in you..." Paimon whispered to Lumine.

Lumine looks at Paimon then faced to Xiao.
"so, you want to join us on an adventure then?" She joked around giving a playful smile.

"No." He answered immediately.

After a bit of hesitation, he re-analyzed her words, he frowned feeling confused about what she had just asked him.

He turns away. "Tsk. This is nonsense. let's move." He didn't know how to respond and if whatever he just said is well enough.

Lumine smirked as she noticed his ears were red.

—————

Lumine thought that it would be a peaceful journey to Liyue but to her surprised, it was chaotic. Paimon and Xiao continuously get on each other's nerves. Paimon pointed out how he is so cold, peculiar and that he tends to make things awkward. Xiao on the other hand speaks to Paimon in a sarcastic yet polite manner and that ticks her off.

Apart from that, they managed to stray away from any nearby Hilichurls campsite. Lumine still felt drained and exhausted, in hope for no danger to approach. Having Xiao right next to her makes her feel at ease.

—————

Suddenly, Xiao stopped.

"What's wrong?" Lumine asked.

"Let's take a break. I see that your strength is wilting." Xiao notices how their walking pace has become slower and slower. Not wanting to push Lumine anymore further, he suggested Lumine to rest although he's not one to do that.

"I'm sorry." Lumine apologizes as she felt that she was a burden.

"....Come here. Rest beneath the tree. When you feel enough strength, call out my name. I'll be there." and, he left out of thin air.

"Wow, he always does that. Let's rest Lumine." Paimon pulls Lumine's hand as they walked towards the tree.

Lumine sat down and leans her body onto the tree trunk. She closes her eyes, breathing in the clean air. The wind was cooling and breezy allowing Lumine to feel sleepy. Paimon too sits beside her as they both rested.

————

Not sure how long has it been, Paimon woke up. Paimon didn't want to wake Lumine so she slowly pushes herself away from her. Paimon took a little detour around the area wondering where Xiao could be while also setting her eyes on Lumine.

"—!!" After a while, Paimon notices that Xiao came back.

"Xiao!" She flew down to see him. To her shock, he was splatted with blood on his face, arms, and clothing.

He looked at Paimon as he raises his index finger and placed it on his lips to signify her to be quiet.

"You could at least clean yourself up before coming here!" Paimon whispers loudly to him. Paimon thought that he was probably worried about Lumine the whole time. Hence, he went to defeat the monsters nearby just so the route to Liyue would be much peaceful.

"Why was she alone?" He frowns at Paimon once again.

"Wait I didn't—"

"Tsk." He cut Paimon off just like that.

"Stay here. I'm going to wash up." He continued.

"Hey! Ugh, why is he so angsty all the time." Paimon mumbled to herself while folding her arms in annoyance.

"Hmph. Fine! I'll sit with my Lumine and take good care of her! I'll show you that I'm better than that!" Paimon started ranting a little too loudly towards where Xiao is heading just so he could hear it.

However, Paimon may have accidentally forgotten that Lumine is asleep and might have woken her up due to her loud high-pitched voice.