Chapter 28

"Good morning!" Max said as I opened the door.

I was in the middle of eating my cereal when the front door bell rung. I thought it was someone to pick up Caden but when he made no move to answer I had no idea who it could have been. Hector shook his head at his cousin and walked in when I made room for them to enter. It was quiet in the house, mostly because my mother went out this morning and Daniel had already left. It was just Caden and I and the atmosphere was thick with tension. We didn't try to make conversation and instead just ate in silence.

"What's for breakfast?" Max asked, dropping his backpack right next to mine that was by the door, Hector doing the same.

"Cereal. We have Coco Puffs, CoCo Krispies, Honey Nut Cheerios, Froot Loops, Captin Crunch, and Frosted Flakes."

"Why do you guys have so much cereal?"

"Cause someone said they needed them all," I mumbled and opened the kitchen door to reveal Caden serving himself Froot Loops even though he just finished a bowl of Captin Crunch.

"Sup, princess," he said and threw a nod at Max.

He glared at him and roughly grabbed the Froot Loops from his hands causing Caden to chuckle. Max grabbed a bowl and poured himself cereal while Hector reached for the Coco Krispies. I was eating Honey Nut Cheerios but I was just about done so I was mostly sitting there waiting for them two to finish. About five minutes later Caden's friends had came to pick him up and I couldn't have been more happier. It was just too tense.

"Later, losers," Caden said, making his way to leave the kitchen.

"Hope the door hits you on your way out," Max snapped.

Caden chuckled and roughly ruffled Max's hair, "Later, Maxie."

"Oh, screw you!" He yelled and threw a fruit loop at him.

"Well, as much as I enjoyed that, we should be leaving too. Hector still needs to grab his stuff and get familiar with the place."

Max grumbled but quickly shoved the rest of his cereal in his mouth while Hector calmly drank the rest of his left over milk and put his plate in the sink, washing it as Max still struggled to finish his cereal. By the time Hector finished washing his plate Max had put his plate down and slouched in his seat, tired from all the cereal he made himself eat so quickly. Hector chuckled and washed his plate for him while Max struggled to get up. I shoved him towards the door and he grumbled, dusting himself off.

"The school isn't far, is it?" Hector asked.

"No, it's only a-"

"That little asshole!"

We both immediately turned to see a fuming Max. On the floor were two backpacks instead of three. Hector had to cough to try to hide his laughter but, of course, he wasn't so successful. Caden could be a bully so it may be very possible that he is going to dumb Max's backpack in a trash can or place it somewhere where Max won't be able to get it.

"Come on, if I can find him before the bell rings I can kill him," Max hissed, roughly opening the front door and slamming his car door shut after he got in.

Hector and I were quick to follow, quickly putting on our seatbelts as Max practically flew out of the driveway and onto the main road. Hector and I were holding on but we didn't try to convince Max to slow down. As soon as he parked the car he was out and running into the building leaving Hector and I behind.

"Where do you think his backpack is?" Hector asked.

"It's in Caden's locker."

We both jumped and turned around to see Victor there leaning against the car besides Max's. I tried not to smile too widely but it was hard. I missed him and it was hard to not run over and hug him. But I stayed still and instead cleared my throat.

"You saw Caden put it in his locker?"

"No one could've missed that smirk he had as he shoved it in his locker and slammed it shut. The guy never uses his locker but he now found it to be useful."

"Well, I'll text him and tell him. Diego, can you show me to the office?" Hector asked.

It was then that I remembered that Hector was new and as I looked around, kids were staring and noticing. Victor also seemed to notice as he took a look around. Some girls were already whispering and giggling. I couldn't blame them, Hector was naturally handsome. Of course, so was my Victor. Speaking of Victor, he didn't look too happy but there was nothing I could do.

"Yeah, we should probably go get you settled. The school is strict with attendance so even if you're new they'll get upset if you're late. We'll see you around, Victor," I politely excused us and tried to avoid eye contact with him.

I could tell he didn't like it but again, I couldn't just say no to Hector. I couldn't be mean like that but it wasn't like I was flirting or anything. I was just being helpful and it wasn't like I was wrapped around Hector like that girl was on Victor. We aren't even standing close enough for our arms to touch.

"That was intense," Hector mumbled once we were inside the school and away from Victor.

"Give me back my backpack!"

"I don't have it!"

Hector pulled me back right on time to not be trampled over by Caden and Max. He was chasing Caden around while Caden was laughing and teasing him. Sara and Charlie walked up to us, clearly confused and looked at us for answers. We simply shrugged and continued on our way to the office. I waited outside for Hector and it surprisingly didn't take that much time. He was out within five minutes and we still had ten minutes before class started.

"Alright, so according to your schedule, you have first period with us! Though you don't have anymore periods with me. You have another one with Max and one with Charlie. Unfortunately, you have three periods that neither of us are in. Though Victor is in your fifth period and Caden is in your other two classes."

"That all. . . Sounds confusing."

"Alright, you have Mythology, Calculus, AP Government, ooh you're taking Ceramics! Then you have a free class and finally, Weightlifting!"

"So. . . Which classes are you in with me?"

"Mythology. You have Calculus with Charlie and AP Government with Max. You have Victor in your fifth class which is your free period. For your free period you need to go to the library because they don't let you leave campus or walk around. Finally, Caden is in your first, fourth, and sixth class."

"Great, this sounds fun," he sighed and politely took back his schedule.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, I guess I just hoped I'd have more classes with you."

I silently cursed myself when I felt the blush rush to my cheeks. It's not my fault! I never know how to respond to those comments! I'm not being unfaithful!

"At least we have lunch. Other schools have block lunches like lunch time A and B. I would hate that. Oh! We should get to class. If we see Charlie I'll tell her to meet us at after class so she can show you where to go for second period and then Max can take you to third. During lunch I can show you where your fourth, fifth, and sixth class is! We really should be going though. Our teacher for first period hates being late! This one time-"

"Diego," I stopped and turned back to him to see a soft smile gracing his lips. He was truly beautiful. "Thank you."