A Long Shot

Erin's POV:

A searing pain tore through my abdomen as soon as the bullet ripped through me Jay sent one at Valon. He hit the ground hard with a thud.

"Erin," someone was calling my name, Jay.

I tried to focus on his face, but already my vision was going black. I knew I was loosing blood, and fast.

"Hey, hey stay with me," Jay pleaded and muttered something into his radio that I couldn't even make out.

"I'm sorry," I rasped before plunging into darkness.

Jay's POV:

I was trying to hold pressure, but it didn't matter she just kept loosing blood. I couldn't lose her. The rest of the world felt miles away when the only thing I could focus on was trying to keep Erin alive. People were talking, shouting, but I couldn't hear any of it. An eternity later the paramedics arrived. They were saying things to me that I couldn't hear through the pounding in my ears.

Somehow I made it outside of that basement to the ambulance. They loaded Erin up and I looked at Voight.

"Go," he nodded and I didn't hesitate before hopping in the back of the ambulance.

The whole ambulance ride was a blur, though it felt like it was taking forever. Finally, we made it to med.

"34 year old female gsw to the abdomen. BP 87 over 53, SATS 93 percent, heart rate tachy at 137," the paramedic explained and dr. Ethan Choi and dr. Dean Archer rushed Erin back to a room and I found myself following them.

"Hey, Jay," Will grabbed my shoulder "you can't go in there."

"It's Erin, I have too I need to see if she's okay," I couldn't just wait.

"C'mon, let's go to the waiting room, okay. I'll update you as much as I can," Will ordered and he led me out.

It didn't take long for the rest of the unit to arrive.

"Jay," Voight hurried over to me "what do you know?"

"Nothing," I shrugged, dejected "absolutely nothing."

The next hours were the longest I had felt in my entire life. All of them filled with dread. Finally, Will emerged to the waiting room.

"How is she," Voight demanded.

"She's stable. We were able to remove the bullet, the surgery went well. However a head CT revealed a subdural hematoma. Though it wasn't large, it was big enough to need surgery. They were able to evacuate the bleed and are closing her up now. Overall it looks good."

The whole room seemed to let out a collective breath and I felt a wave of relief wash over me.

"When can I see her?" I asked.

"Give it an hour or so, she'll be out for a while," Will said.

I nodded and sat back down. More waiting.

Erin's POV:

The light seared into my eyes. Everything was blurry, and everything hurt. It felt like I had been run over by a freight train. Slowly my surroundings came into focus and I could hear a loud beeping blaring into my hears. The smell of antiseptic filled my nose.

Will Halstead entered the room.

"Hey, you're up," he smiled "do you know where you are?"

I nodded "yeah, the hospital," I croaked.

"Great, do you know what happened?"

"It feels like I got hit by a bus."

"Yeah, that's understandable, you were shot. And at some point you must have sustained some head trauma because you also had a small brain bleed."

That's when the events of the last few days flooded back to me. Though they didn't feel real. More like a dream.

"Right," I nodded.

"You have some people who are pretty anxious to come see you," Will explained and turned to let them in."

"Um Will, one thing real quick."

He turned "of course."

"Can you stop any pain medication that I'm on. I'm in recovery and I don't want to..." I trailed off.

"Of course, though I do have to warn you the next few days will be very uncomfortable if you don't want any pain meds."

"I know."

Will nodded before disconnecting one of the bags pumping into my IV.

"You ready for me to let them in?" He asked.

I nodded, and a few minutes later Jay and Hank entered before the rest of the unit.

"I'm so glad your okay," Jay breathed a sigh of relief.

"Yeah me too," I chuckled a jolt of pain going through my ribs.

"You gave us a pretty good scare kiddo," Hank said and the rest of the unit nodded.

"Valon," I asked "is he dead."

"Yes," Jay nodded.

I didn't know whether or not to feel relived.

"okay."

Eventually everyone began to trickle out leaving just me, Hank, and Jay.

"I'm sure the kids would love to see you," Jay said "how about I go pick them up and come back?"

"Sounds good," I agreed and he left.

I turned to Hank "I didn't even know Ricky Sandoval had a son."

He sighed "I didn't either."

"So um I was thinking," I started I'd been considering it for a while "I don't want to spend the rest of my life playing secretary Hank. And I know I really blew it before, but I was wondering if there's anyway I could get my old job back?"

I knew it was a long shot, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Hank smiled "well first you need to take some time to heal, and it wouldn't be easy. You wouldn't be able to come back to intelligence immediately, and you'd have to jump through some hoops, but if it's something you want then yes. Whenever your ready yes. You'd probably need to start out on patrol for a while, but I'll see what I can do to try to get you back on the job."

"Thank you," I nodded.

He nodded "get some rest."

A/N:

Hey guys, I know I've been gone for like forever, and I can't promise I'll get back to regular updates but I am back so there's that at least. Thank you for 15000 reads!!! It's crazy that I've gotten that many. And thank you all for your patience while waiting on this update. Anyways, I have a lot of plans for this story so hopefully, I'll update again soon.