/t w e n t y - t h r e e/

Chapter 23

Three Years Before

Daniel never learned the girl's real name. He saw her in the halls, she was hard to miss with her vibrant red hair. Sometimes she would say hi or try to start a conversation, but something always got in the way. She seemed like a nice girl, Daniel just never got the chance to talk to her properly.

He had joined the soccer team, after a very persuasive discussion with Austin. They had become friends over the years. Not very close, but the kind of friend that you always say hi to when you see them.

Soccer was surprisingly very time consuming for Daniel. He had to go to practices, games, and barely had time to spend with Amelia after school. And he was actually pretty decent at the sport, nowhere as good as Austin was, but adequate enough. They're team hadn't been beaten yet.

There was a game that night. Amelia was practically jumping off the walls with excitement. She was always like that when they had games. Even though she wasn't a cheerleader for the school, she was like Daniel's personal cheerleader. Even when he missed the goal or fell on the ground, Amelia was there to cheer him on. It was very uplifting.

This was the last game of the season, which brought about a very encouraging Amelia. Daniel was practicing with Austin and a few others from the team when people started to file into their spots on the bleachers. Daniel saw Amelia with a sign tucked under her arm, but he couldn't make out what it said. This ought to be interesting, he thought.

Amelia was always a quiet person, never very outgoing in social situations. But that night she was completely different. She cheered when Daniel's team scored and shouted encouragement when they didn't. And she held up a sign that said '13's #1 Fan!' Thirteen was Daniel's number.

Half way through the game, something caught Daniel's eye. A head of vibrant red hair that he hadn't thought about in weeks. She made eye contact with him, smiled, and then Daniel turned away to focus on the game. That was the last time Daniel acknowledged the girl throughout the rest of his time in high school.

Now

It sounded like an ocean. It was a lulling sound. Like the waves were rising up slowly. And then sinking back down. Daniel recognized this feeling. This feeling of peacefulness. He imagined it was one of those peaceful dreams a person gets right before they are about to die. Oh, no. Daniel hoped he wasn't dying. He had to keep going, to get Chloe and then go home. Somehow Daniel knew he wasn't dead, he was unconscious, but not dead. Then, he felt a pain in the side of his head. Yes, Daniel definitely wasn't dead. Dead people don't feel pain, or at least he hoped they didn't. Daniel could feel himself waking up...

"Danny. Danny, can you hear me?" It was Amelia's concerned voice.

"Daniel wake up. Now." Then he heard a voice he didn't recognize, a demanding voice. Daniel attempted to open his eyes, his vision was blurry. Somewhere he could see lights flashing. He groaned and closed his eyes. Man, his head hurt really badly.

"Danny, it's okay. It's all going to be okay." Amelia spoke softly, as if Daniel was just a child. Daniel heard a dog whimpering somewhere.

"Jelly..."

"Jelly's fine, Danny. Don't worry about him." Too late, Daniel was already worrying. He forced his eyes open and looked around. He was in an ambulance, Amelia on one side and a stranger on the other. The stranger was pretty; she had tan skin and long brown hair. Jelly was lying on the end of the stretcher. There was gauze wrapped around one of his front legs. Even with his blurry vision, Daniel could see blood seeping through. Daniel sat up and only then did he realize that the vehicle was moving, he immediately was hit with a wave of nausea. Daniel picked up Jelly who lied there in his arms. Jelly woke up and licked Daniel's hand, then he relaxed and went back to sleep.