/e l e v e n/

Chapter 11

Eight Years Before

The teachers read over the letters to make sure they didn't have anything unequivocal written, then sealed the envelopes and sent them to Grey Pond Middle School where the sixth graders were waiting.

The middle school was right across the street from the elementary school so it didn't take long for them to arrive. The teachers said that the students would get letters back in two to five days. "Sixth graders have very busy lives, so give them some time," they said. This made Daniel even more nervous. He never wanted to leave the sanctuary of being in fifth grade.

It took three days for the letters to come. They were in a big stack on the teacher's desk. His teacher, Mrs. Grace, said they could have them at the end of the day. They also had three days to write a new letter.

Daniel was nervous all day. He kept staring at the pile of letters wondering which one was his and what did it say. He was pulled from his thoughts when someone tapped on his shoulder.

It was the boy who sat behind Daniel, and he had a note in his hand. Daniel took it and looked at what was written. Are you okay? –A

It was Amelia. She sat all the way across the room from him, and yet somehow she had gotten a note to him without getting caught. Mrs. Grace was droning on about the different branches of the U.S. government and Daniel realized he should be listening. Amelia was looking at him with a worried look. Daniel nodded at her and she turned back around to face the teacher.

***

At lunch, Daniel didn't eat. It was just a letter, but it was driving him crazy. Was this what it would be like for the next month? Or would he stop worrying after a few letter exchanges?

Amelia was still vexed and decided to interrogate him.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she inquired.

"Yes...well, no...I don't know. I'm worried about this letter. What if this Austin guy thinks I'm a complete idiot? What if he hates me because I was rambling about soccer?"

"I'm sure he doesn't, Danny. I thought the rambling made you sound natural. Mine probably makes me sound like a robot."

"Yours was great," Daniel said truthfully.

At the end of the day, Daniel and Amelia finally got their letters.

They didn't even wait to open them till they walked to Daniel's house. They sat together on the bench outside of the school and ripped open the envelopes in anticipation. Daniel read his.

Dear Daniel,

You obviously already know my name, but I'm just going to introduce myself anyway. My name is Austin and I'm in sixth grade. To answer your question, yes I do play soccer in a 'fancy field with uniforms and stuff', I just practice in my yard. I really enjoy the sport. Are you thinking about joining the team when you get to middle school? It's a lot of fun.

Now, onto the subject of sixth grade. It's not that hard changing classes, you just have to memorize your schedule. And you don't really have to carry a lot because you can keep things in your locker. There are some mean teachers, but most of them are nice. Except for the science teacher, she's horrible.

If you have any more questions, just ask. I look forward to getting letters from you for the next month. :) -Austin

Daniel had been freaking out over nothing. Austin seemed like a nice guy. He even put a smiley face in the letter.