/t h i r t y - t w o/

Chapter 32

Three Years After

The next day, just as Amelia was promised, she was taken into the common room. This was where all of the patients went to 'socialize'. There was a television, one of those old ones that were huge and boxy. There were a few couches and arm chairs too.

The room had about ten people in it at the moment. Amelia took one of the arm chairs, waiting for her required social time to end. Most of the people there were older, there were only a few people that were around Amelia's age. Amongst these older people was a girl sitting on a couch, looking lost. She had brown, choppy hair and green eyes. When the girl saw Amelia looking at her, she patted the couch beside her. Amelia could find no harm in it, so she joined the girl on the couch.

"Hi," Amelia said awkwardly.

The girl gave a small smile, "What's your name?"

"Amelia," she answered. "What about you?"

"Naomi Drago." She held out her hand, and after a few contemplative seconds, Amelia shook it. Maybe having a friend in this nut-house wouldn't be so bad.

Now

Casey wasn't really focused. It was the day after Christmas and all she could think about was Daniel. She had thought he didn't care about her anymore. That he had forgotten about her. All those days when Daniel was on her mind she had never thought that he would be thinking of her too. But she was wrong. Just a couple days ago he had called her after all the silence between them, and that was the day all her fantasies came to life. That was the day Daniel had pulled together enough courage to kiss her. And she was still thinking about it, two days later, as she filed papers at the animal hospital she worked at.

Casey was pulled away from her thoughts when her cell phone vibrated in her pocket. It was Daniel. She swiped her finger across the screen and answered the call. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's Daniel." He sounded nervous, and Casey wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"Oh, hey. What's up?" she asked, trying to sound calm even though she probably sounded just as nervous as Daniel.

"When does your shift end?" he asked.

"In about an hour, why?"

"Can you come over to my parents' house when you're done working?"

"Why are you at your parents' house?" He only went there at the end of the month, why wasn't he at his apartment?

"I'm staying over till New Years. Amelia came for a visit, and she really wants to meet you." Casey remembered seeing Amelia's drawings. They were beautiful. What bad would it do to meet this girl? She was close to Daniel so maybe this was a sign, maybe Daniel really did like Casey as much as she liked him.

"Sure," she finally said, "I'll see you then."

"Bye, Casey."

"Bye, Daniel."