6. Well, This Ain't Over

"So, just to be clear, you thought you were physically fighting with your hallucination?" Dr. Chastain asked, scribbling notes on her pad. She seemed annoyed.

"Yeah... I was trying to get rid of him." Mitch replied, nervously.

"And what did you do?" she asked, not looking up.

"I choked him, and I... pulled his hair again," Mitch replied, choking up.

"Why do you think you pull his hair?"

"Because my Scott did that."

He heard the mistake and cursed under his breath, but didn't bother to correct it. He had already ruined everything anyway, so why fight it?

"Got it. And then what?"

"He warned me that he was going to defend himself, but I didn't listen, and then he pushed me. I charged at him, and he put me in a hold."

"How was the hold? I'm sure Dr. Smythe would like to hear how he did, considering he just went through our Crisis Training," Dr. Chastain asked.

"What?"

"It was my attempt at a joke. Sorry," she smiled softly. "I'm trying to make you relax a bit."

"Why are you mad at me?" Mitch asked, instead of answering.

"Why do you think I'm mad at you?"

"You're being mean. You seem annoyed."

"I do?"

"Yeah. Do you care more about him than you do about me? Because I hurt him, you're mad at me? Is he working for you now, like you wanted?"

"Mitch, slow down."

Mitch took a shaky breath. He hated this feeling. Like he wanted to punch something. Like his lungs wouldn't inflate all the way. Like everyone hated him.

"I'm not mad, Mitch. Not at all. No, Scott doesn't work for me. I haven't seen him since the day you introduced me. You are my patient and I care about your well-being very much. I think it's troubling that you keep hurting someone who means quite a lot to you, but no, I'm not mad. Just trying to piece this all together."

"Sorry." Mitch replied, his head in his hands, trying to wipe the delusion away.

"No worries, Mitch. We're all fine here."

She scribbled on her pad again.

"So what do we do now?" Mitch asked.

"I'm going to up your dosage just a bit, and hopefully we can make pesky Scott go away again." She replied, pulling out her script pad. "Fake Scott, of course."

Mitch nodded. "Right, Fake Scott." His heart ached.

The Spring Invitational was held nearly three hours away in Dallas. Mitch's parents had been unsure if he should go, and they had expressed this concern over the next several days.

"You don't know if your meds are fixed yet."

"What if you have an episode?"

"What if you need us?"

Mitch rolled his eyes as he thought of their questions. He hadn't called them for any of his episodes before, so why would he call them now?

Rozzi bounced out to Kevin's car that Friday, grinning from ear to ear.

"This is going to be so fun," she exclaimed, crawling into the back with Kirstin. Mitch smiled back at them.