17. 'Cause I've Been Cheated, I've Been Wronged

Author's Note: This chapter seems a bit mean to post on Easter, but oh well... 

17. 'Cause I've Been Cheated, I've Been Wronged

"Told you I'd stay," a soft voice whispered as Mitch nuzzled against the body below him.

"Hi," Mitch whispered in return.

His phone buzzed on his nightstand.

"Been going off like crazy for the past 45 minutes," Scott muttered, running his fingers along Mitch's spine.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Mitch replied with a roll of his eyes, reaching for the vibrating device.

His screen was filled with notifications. Texts. Missed calls.

What the hell?

"You looked cute while you were sleeping. Didn't want to interrupt," he said, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

Mitch opened a voicemail from Scott first. It was the first notification, so he thought it would be best to start there.

His heartrate skyrocketed as he pressed the speakerphone button.

"Hey... um... just hoping you'd answer," Scott's shaky voice began, but there was a loud banging noise behind him, like someone pounding on a door. "Turns out, Noah's back, and, um... I just wanted to be on the phone with someone before I answer the door. You know, because of what he said he was gonna do last night?" Scott's voice broke, and Mitch's breath hitched. "I'll, um... I'll call Kirstie. I'll text you later. Bye, Mitch."

The final words were nothing more than a whisper as the pounding on the door became louder.

He opened a string of text messages from Kirstin, next.

Kirstie: Did you get a cryptic voicemail from Scott?

Kirstie: He sounds scared.

Kirstie: Where are you?

Fifteen minutes later, there were more.

Kirstie: Mitch, call me.

Kirstie: Mitch... you're scaring me.

Kirstie: Call me as soon as you get this. I'm coming home.

"Is... is Scott okay?" Fake Scott asked, peering over his shoulder. The words weren't the least bit taunting. In fact, they sounded anxious.

Another voicemail from Scott was next.

Mitch held his breath as he pressed play.

It sounded like the phone was in his pocket. Muffled and noisy.

"Why the hell did it take you so long to answer the door?" A slapping sound echoed through the receiver. "Is he here? Did you fuck him? I bet he's here." Silence. "Where the fuck is he?" Scott wasn't answering. There was a loud banging noise, like the phone hitting the wall. "I came for what I promised you I'd be back for. Unless of course, did you change your mind about dumping me?" More silence. "I SAID, DID YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND, YOU FUCKING SLUT?"

The voicemail ended just as something shattered on the other line, and Mitch wondered if Scott had been thrown against something hard enough to break his phone.

Mitch's phone dropped from his grasp, right as Kirstin burst through the door.

Her eyes were wide and her makeup was running down her face. She looked... well... insane. It terrified him.

"Kirst... what-."

"Where the hell have you been?" Her words were frantic to match her appearance, and Mitch leapt from his bed.