10. I Don't Know Why You Ever Would Lie to Me

Author's Note: Happy Sunday :)

10. I Don't Know Why You Ever Would Lie to Me

Mitch walked to breakfast on his third day with Scott lagging behind.

He didn't stop to ask what was wrong. There were people around, after all, and he knew better, so he simply slowed his pace until his hallucination caught up.

"Ugh, just don't meet another future best friend again. That was annoying, what you did with Kevin," Scott muttered, and Mitch laughed fondly.

Mitch settled down at a table alone and Scott took a seat beside him without a tray. Mitch dug into his breakfast quietly, continuing to appear as though there wasn't a tall blond sitting across from him.

"Hi there," a low voice boomed, and Mitch shivered at its low frequency. An equally low laugh followed, and a man around Mitch's height, with his hair in a neat bun, came around the other side of the table with a smile.

Scott looked utterly scandalized when the man took the seat that he was currently sitting in, and he made a show of falling off of the chair. He rolled on the floor, crying about his elbow, until Mitch burst into laughter.

Damn. So much for not looking crazy.

"Something funny?" the man asked, his smile faltering.

"I'm so sorry. No, no, I just struggle with expressing emotion. Sorry," Mitch lied, hoping that was even a real clinical issue that existed.

"Oh. Well, hi. I'm Avi. I haven't seen you around, so I wanted to come and welcome you."

Mitch smiled as Scott stuck his tongue out at the man. "Nice to meet you, Avi. I'm Mitch."

They clasped hands in a handshake.

"Can I eat with you?" Avi asked, and his eyes sparkled with a friendliness that reminded Mitch of Kevin.

"I'd love that. Thanks."

"Oh, come on. He isn't that bad." Mitch soothed with a teasing smile as they entered Mitch's room later that day.

"He's insufferable. And he looks like he plays a whole lot of 'World of Warcraft'. He might actually think he's a Stark from 'Game of Thrones', for crying out loud."

"That's mean," Mitch replied with a smirk. "I think he's kind of handsome, actually."

Scott's mouth fell open, comically. "You... what?"

"Yeah. I'd climb that like a tree."

"How dare you?" Scott replied, before his face broke into a teasing grin. "Fine. Guess you don't need all of this anymore." He gestured from his chest to his groin, waggling his eyebrows.

"Now, now. Let's not be hasty, here," Mitch replied, putting his hands up in a mocking defeat. "No need to fix what isn't broken, after all."

Mitch's laughter filled the room as Scott tackled him to his bed.

Outside, Nurse Bailey shifted on his feet, nervously, before continuing his rounds.

Mitch spent the following day playing games with Avi outside on the lawn. He was extremely easy to talk to.

"So... what are you in for?"

Mitch froze. "Schizophrenia."

He was amazed at how easily it fell from his lips.

Avi looked up at him and smiled, placing a card on the pile between them to continue the game.

"What about you?"