11. I'm a Little Untrusting when I think that the Truth is Gonna Hurt You

Author's Note: Oops. Now even I can't figure out if I feel bad for Fake Scott or not. I feel all bad, and then I make him do something mean again. Oops.

11. I'm a Little Untrusting when I think that the Truth is Going to Hurt You

The day he was discharged, Mitch felt lighter than air.

He had woken up four days ago without Scott, and he knew in his heart that the hallucination was gone.

He had known it was coming. In fact, the night before it happened had been extremely emotional.

"You're going to be okay. You know that, right?" The blond asked, running his fingers along Mitch's spine.

Mitch nodded against his chest. Even his heartbeat seemed to be dying, as it beat weakly below where he rested his cheek.

"I know that the thought of me coming back scares you."

"Not in the way that it had... now it only scares me because I know that I shouldn't be able to see you. So if I am, it means that my mind is messed up again, that my meds aren't working."

"So I don't repulse you anymore?" the tone was teasing, but it held an emotion that Mitch couldn't quite put his finger on.

"You never repulsed me. You just scared me. I didn't want you to hurt me. I didn't want you... to hurt... anyone else."

"You didn't want me hurting him."

Mitch locked eyes with icy blue ones. Then, he nodded.

"Are you going to be with him?"

"I... hope so. If he'll let me."

"Why do you think he wouldn't want to be?"

"You said it yourself. What if he's moved on?"

"Yeah. It's pretty likely, actually," the blond pondered, gently. "It's only been like, less than three weeks, but it isn't like he doesn't have options."

Scott shifted beneath him, clearly registering the fact that his shirt was soaked with Mitch's tears. "Don't cry. I didn't mean to make you cry. Scott Hoying wouldn't want you crying over him."

"I don't think I'm crying over him."

"Oh yeah, then what are you crying for? Gonna miss these pretty white walls?"

Mitch laughed, despite himself.

"I'm gonna miss this. I'm gonna miss you. I know that sounds crazy. I know you aren't real, but I just..."

"Shh, you don't have to explain. I'm gonna miss you too. I think that's obvious."

Scott was speaking more slowly with each sentence. By now, his words were slurring.

"You're leaving me tonight, aren't you?"

He watched Scott struggle to nod, his energy leaving his body.

"Does it hurt?"

Scott was silent for a moment, and Mitch already knew the answer by the time he opened his mouth again.

"A little. But it's okay. Now that I know what to expect, it isn't quite as scary."

"What does it feel like?"

"It feels like... my muscles are cramping. It feels like... a bad flu... or a drug overdose, maybe. Like it's hard to keep my eyes open. Like I have to remember to breathe. Like... my heart hurts. Like I just want to sleep."