Chapter 16

1,111 words weow

Phillip POV (oooo mixin it up! The only reason this is happening is because I need both Alex's and Burr's side of this.)

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, there are ten things you need to know." Burr mutters to himself. "One, he rode across the Hudson at dawn. My friend, William P. Van Ness signed on as my number two. Hamilton arrived with his crew: Nathaniel Pendleton and a doctor that he knew. Number three. I watched Hamilton examine the terrain. I wish I could tell you what was happening in his brain. This man has poisoned my political pursuits!"

"Most disputes die and no one shoots," I say.

"Hamilton. drew first position. Looking to world like a man on a mission. This is man with a marksman's ability. The doctor turned around so he could have deniability. Five. Now I didn't know this at the time, but we're near the same spot his son died. Is that why?" He asks, observing Alex's shaking. "Six. He examined his gun with such rigour. I watched as he methodically fiddled with the trigger. Seven. Here's what I got: my fellow soldiers'll tell you I'm a terrible shot. Number eight, your last chance to negotiate. Send in your seconds, see if they can set the record straight." I watch him send in William P. Vas Ness in to the middle to meet Nathaniel Pendleton.

"They won't teach you this in your classes, but find a painting, (I know this says 'look it up' but Burr wouldn't know what it means to look something up. And there is a painting of this, so, it works.) "Hamilton was wearing his glasses! Why? If not to take deadly aim? It's him or me, the world will never be the same. I only had one thought before the slaughter: this man will not make an orphan of my daughter."

"You mean your 22 year-old daughter? That one? And the better option is to kill Pa? Because he doesn't have seven children and a wife waiting for him at home? The oldest being 20 but mad because of my death? The youngest being 2? Your daughter is an adult and she can take care of herself! Pa, on the other hand, has 7 children who are unable to completely care for themselves! You f*cking idiot!" (Sorry about that. I wanted to yell at Burr, so I did it through Phillip.)

"Look him in the eye and no higher. Summon all the courage you require then count one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, number ten paces, fire!" He shoots. A bunch of people, probably those Pa loved, and I try to move in between them, but it's no use. We can't do anything. I watch as Pa falls.

John POV (for the rest of the book)

"I imagine death so much it feels more like a memory. Is this where it gets me, on my feet, several feet ahead of me? I see it coming, do I run or fire my gun or let it be?"

"You run, Alex! You RUN!"

"There is no beat, no melody. Burr, my first friend, my enemy. Maybe the last face I ever see. If I throw away my shot, is this how you'll remember me? What if this bullet is my legacy? Legacy, what is a legacy? It's planting seeds in a garden you never get to see. I wrote some notes at the beginning of a song someone will sing for me. America, you great unfinished symphony, you sent for me! You let me make a difference, a place where even orphan immigrants can leave their fingerprints and rise up. I'm running out of time, I'm running, and my time's up, wise up, eyes up. I catch a glimpse of the other side." He stares right at me. "Laurens leads a soldiers' chorus on the other side!" I look behind me. My soldiers are all there, supporting me. I smile. He looks over at Phillip, who's watching Burr. "My son is on the other side! He's with my mother on the other side!" His mother shows up and waves at him. "Washington is watching from the other side!" Washington is indeed there. "Teach me how to say goodbye," he says, saying it how I watched Washington say it to him. "Rise up, rise up, rise up, Eliza!" He suddenly remembers. "My love," I struggle not to flinch. "Take your time. I'll see you on the other side."

He looks directly at me. "Raise a glass to freedom."

He aims his pistol at the sky. Me and all the other dead go between Burr and Alex.

"WAIT!" Burr calls out.

Burr strikes him right between the ribs. Burr tries to run forward but he is ushered away.

They row him back across the Hudson.

Phillip and I look at each other before following.

Everyone's panicking and running around trying to save him.

Alex is just sitting there.

Calm.

Perfectly okay with dying.

He can't see or hear me and Phillip anymore.

He's losing touch.

Eliza comes running.

Angelica comes too.

The children are running after her.

Alex is talking nonsense.

Talking about politics.

No surprise there.

He's not going to go quietly.

I can already tell.

Suddenly,

He stops.

Silence.

Doctors are running around, trying to revive him.

"He's dead," saying the thing all feared.

He sits up.

But it's his ghost form.

"Jackie? Is that you?" He calls out.

I start crying, and he comes running.

"It's alright, Jackie. I still love you," he whispers.

"I love you too, Little Lion," I say through my tears.

We pull apart from each other. We share a smile. Suddenly, his lips crash onto mine. We start making out. All that matters is him, and me. That's the only thin-

"I mean, I know you were close, but not that close," Phillip says with a smile. We both blush. "It's okay, though. I still love both of you." I let out a breathe I didn't know I was holding. Then he asks the question I can tell Alex was fearing. "Does Ma know?"

"Uh..."

"Would I be correct in assuming she doesn't and that I shouldn't tell her?"

"I mean, it is kind of illegal," Alex points out.

"Fair point. I guess I won't tell her."

"Good."

"I missed you, Pip."

"Oh, so now you notice my attention," Pip says sarcastically. Alex blushed.

"Sorry, I haven't seen him in, uh, how long have you er, been, dead?"

"It's 1804, right?"

"Yes."

"Then, about, 22 years."

"EXACTLY! I haven't seen him in 22 years, but I saw you 3 years ago!"

"Yes, but-"

"Shh, my," I hesitate. "Boyfriend." I glance over at Alex for permission. He nods. "Just died, so give him a break."

"Fine," Phillip pouts. We all share a smile.

A/N

Sorry this took so long to update, but writers block is a bïtch. This is the end. I couldn't really think of a good way to end it, but my brain was like, hey, you should make it seem like they're a family or something, so that's kinda what I went for. So, thanks again for reading this (:  I love y'all!

-Asher