XLIII | Possibilities

♞

Just a day ago, I all but chased Sebastian around the manor, clung to him like a magnet, kept him on my mind so much that I could hardly stay on task, and leapt to the kitchen where I'd finally get to have him alone. He still pervades my every thought but in a far different manner than yesterday, tormenting me but not with lust.

    He knows something, far more than he's been letting on. And he's chosen to keep me in the dark, at least until today. Why he didn't tell me in the first place isn't so much as important as why he chose to let me eavesdrop and find out when I did.

     Strangely, I can't completely regret last night, and that only frustrates me more as I do my chores with some difficulty thanks to the state the bastard had left my body in, trying to make sense of the past nine months, trying to make sense of my life as a whole. I rack my mind for the memories of my nightmares I'd stashed away, that afternoon the woman approached me and the singular white feather that remained when she disappeared, the night in the hallway and the ghosts with hollow sockets for eyes that whispered in my ears, the smell of sulfur that filled my bedroom when Sebastian tossed the feather in the fire, the night Arthur kidnapped me from the ball, what Arthur had said when my mind was too drugged to comprehend it. What had he said?

    And who is Ash?

I recall my mother's death, recall stumbling into the bathroom in childish ignorance and seeing her there, her blood puddled in the floor, her body mangled to the point that recognition was hardly feasible, the pendant that dangled from between her bluish fingers. I recall the killer who has no name, who took everything from all of us so suddenly and without cause, something I had forced myself to believe as a sort of coping mechanism until now.

My mother was murdered in the middle of the day, and the level of brutality she suffered both baffled even the most seasoned detectives and inspired journalists and producers alike to flock down to Summerville to prod at her case, the latter of which something my father thankfully squandered all hopes of permission to. Her death wasn't at the hands of an ordinary man, nor was it at the will of a crazed individual who happened to stumble upon her and choose her as their victim. And I'm not convinced that Sebastian doesn't have even the slightest clue, not after what he told Ciel in the study, and not after all I've been put through since I got here.

Something has brought her here, and something else has followed her with a goal in mind. I can sense a corrupt divine being, one we have dealt with before, that seems to follow her as if it were never destroyed.

The words echo in my mind, tormenting me and leaving no doubt that Sebastian was entirely aware of the woman in the window whose strange, serenity-invoking eyes invaded my soul, entirely aware of the ghostly whispers that consumed me in those hallways, entirely aware of whatever it is that chooses to inexplicably tether he and I to one another. He might not know the person or being responsible for the death of my mother, but he senses the entity that stalks me like a predator and haunts my dreams when all this time I thought I'd lost my mind. Maybe it stalked my mother as well.