Chapter 45: The Stand-Off and Getaway

Ivan: I'm not dying again for this dirty money. No no. I can't die again.

Zero: Just stay calm and you won't get hurt.

Me: That's what they say when they take you to prison, Jackal. Now shut up and toss me an actual gun.

I tossed him my shotgun in exchange for him tossing back an AK47. I tucked behind a concrete pillar as everyone else took cover as well. I pulled back the slide and locked the gun into automatic firing. I started shaking in my boots, but once I felt that all-too-familiar black aura surround me, all fear was lost.

Me: Ready guys?

Sam: Why'd your voice change?

Zero: It's just an effect of being in that form. Now cover us as me and Tails get this gold into the cars.

Ivan: It's actually Tails and me.

Zero: Just get the lead flying before they try and retaliate.

I wasted no time waiting and aimed right down the barrel at the military and fired. Time seemed to slow down as I could perfectly aim my shots and took out I think a bakers' dozen of armed forces before they could even think. I tucked back behind the pillar as time fell back into place and the lead flew from both ends of the field.

Spike: DAMN! THEY HAVE TO HAVE THE WHOLE FUCKING STATE DEPARTMENT HERE!

Me: Then let's give them a proper hero's death.

Ivan: Guys? We got more coming!

Sam: Right on the overpass. Snipers. Anyone got a clear shot?

Me: I might. Let me try and get them.

I peeked from cover and fired away at the snipers. Something felt off that every time I aimed my AK, time seemed to slow around me. Like... it was some sort of aiming assist. Once all of the snipers were done like dinner, I went back to firing at the ground troops that assaulted against us.

Ivan: ZERO! HOW'S THE GOLD??

Zero: HALFWAY!! WE NEED TO HURRY!! WE'RE TAKING A LOT OF FIRE!!

Me: STOP BITCHING LIKE YOUR PANTS ARE ON FIRE!! WE GOT THIS!!

Ivan: OW!! FUCK!! DAMN BASTARDS GOT MY SHOULDER!! OW FUCK!!

Spike: IVY!!

I ducked my head and ran over to the injured Jackal. Just by looking at his arm, I could tell he took something bad.

Me: You okay, Ivy?

Ivan: Fuck you, this hurts terrible. Oh fuck, this hurts.

Spike: DIE DIE, ALL OF YOU, FUCKING DIE!!!

I looked up at him, and my god, he was going absolutely Rambo on the military. Just holding his ground, spraying lead, as Sam gave him some extra covering fire, not that he really needed it. I looked back at Ivan and held onto his bloody shoulder as he held tight onto his gun, breathing heavily and shaking like a leaf.

Me: Easy there, Ivan. We can get through this.

Zero: ALMOST THERE GUYS!! HOLD THEM OFF!!

Tails: HURRY IT UP THERE!!

Me: SHUT YOUR TRAP, FOX BOY!!

Spike: FUCK, MY GUN'S OUT!! SAM!! YOU GOOD??

Sam: JUST FINE!!

Zero: ALRIGHT GUYS, THE CARS ARE LOADED! LET'S GO!!

Ivan: I can't drive, man. My good arm's fucked.