Airplane Mode

january fifth, 2020

.. 6:45 p.m. ..

ami and alex watched the sun sink into the horizon. their hands hung at each other's sides. alex moved his hand, slightly touching amitola's. she seemed to know what he was trying to do, as she accepted it, holding his hand softly. the two blushed, continuing to stare forward. alex took a glance at ami, before snapping his head back as he noticed ami move her head. ami took in alex's facial features now. she noticed the little bits of hair that stuck out from his beanies he always wore. she noticed his smaller-than-normal build and his dark colored eyes. she looked more into his eyes, noting how calm they looked. she moved her gaze to their hands, linked together. 

"if you take a picture it will last longer, ami."

"oh shut up."

"pass me your phone." he said, giving her a smile. she handed him her phone, trusting him as he took a few pictures and sent them to himself before speaking up again. "can i post these on my social media?"

"why couldn't you?"

"because i uh... have something to tell you."

"what's up?" she asked.

"well, i have tons of followers. i also run a youtube channel and stuff."

"i know." 

he looked confused, "how long?"

"only when you woke me up as you talked to your friends. i heard the name 'tommyinnit', so i looked it up. i checked his videos and heard your voice, which made me look for your channel if you had one. since i'm good at finding things, i found it."

"oh.. sorry i didn't tell you earlier."

"it's fine. i know that you probably didn't want things to be weird or for me to turn into someone who wants clout or something."

"well, i can buy you levi's jeans if you really want."

"please don't, duck boy."

"duck boy?"

"that's your name now that you admitted to it."

"oh. okay then, music nerd wannabe."

"What's that supposed to mean, duck boy?"

"just that you became a waitress for the musical, Waitress."

"i didn't even know there was a musical!"

"haha," he laughed at her, putting his head down before holding her hand tighter. "you're still cute though. even if you get obsessed with musicals."

"i would never!"

"wait 'till you see Grease!"

"you're old!" ami pointed at him, sticking her tongue out.

"i'm only twenty!"

"and?"

"i just started being an adult."

"so did i, ducky!"

"stop calling me that, ami!"

"never!" she giggled, disconnecting their hands and slowly walking off.  alex stood still for a few seconds, before chasing after ami. 

"hey!"

"too late, i'm already catching the bus without you!"

"you wouldn't!"

"you'd be surprised as to how convincing a woman could be!" 

"fine, i'm sorry! please let me join you, amitola!"

"hm, maybe.."

"really?" he asked, as she stopped and turned around.

"don't tag me on any social media or anything. i don't really want my face online."

"that's all? i just wanted to post the hand-holding before marriage flex."

"i thought it was illegal." 

"only if it wasn't with you, ami."

"you're such a d*mb*ss."

"no you are."

"how dare you. maybe i'll have you walking home actually."

"okay, fine, fine. i'm so sorry amitola haring, will you ever forgive me for my ungodly sings to this beautiful world?"

"only if you get on your knees."

"and why would i do that?"

"just 'cause."

"fine!" alex gets on his knees, which ends in ami taking a picture and quickly searching for the bus stop. alex, on the other hand, sits in shock once more that day. ami smirked and sat on the bench, waiting for the bus. alex shook his head in his hands, smiling softly and standing up. he shuffled to sit beside her, putting his hands on his jeans. he begins tapping a light rhythm on his thighs, humming along to a tune. 

"what're you humming?"

"just a random song. it's called airplane mode. it's calming."

"oh, cool. wanna listen to some music?" ami asks, tugging out earbuds and holding one out to alex.

"sure." he accepts, putting an earbud into his ear. the same song he was humming plays, with alex closing his eyes and sighing. ami rests her hand on his, gripping slightly onto it. 

"you're so ridiculous, duck boy."

"you are for calling me duck boy, ami." he replies. they begin to stand up, watching the bus stop in front of them. they both start to get on, sitting next to each other and continuing to listen to music. the ride to their homes was silent but it was soothing. alex walked ami home after the bus stop, and soon walked home himself, feeling happy about the day he had.