17 - Healing and Hope

The first thing you feel is the soft sheets against your bare feet as you drift awake. Your fingers curl into the silky, cool fabric, and you shift your face against your pillow. You're laying oddly on your left side, and in your half-awake haze, you move to roll over.

Sharp pain and brutal soreness yank you fully into the waking world, and you groan into your pillow. "Owww."

"You're awake," says a gravelly voice from beside your bed. You blink your eyes, raising a hand to scrub at them, and glance over to see Techno looking at you with equally bleary eyes. He sits up from where he was clearly sleeping, sitting upright with his head and arms propped onto your bed.

"What time is it?"

"Uh, close to three in the afternoon. I carried you home and Phil called a cleric. SHe's coming back in like, an hour or so to check back up on you, actually. She healed you and Wil, and you slept until now."

"How's Wil?"

A quick knock on the door precedes Wilbur himself entering, a tray of food in hand.

"Wilbur!" you beam at him, relieved to see him without an arrow shaft protruding from his shoulder. "How's your shoulder?"

He grins warmly back at you. "A lot better. It's a wonder what healing magic can do, and now I've got another scar with a story. Just a bit sore is all."

You nod, relieved, and slowly sit up as Wilbur sets the tray of food on your lap. The smell of steaming waffles engulfs your senses, and you can see syrup and fruit stacked next to the waffles. Potatoes are piled on the side, seasoned tastefully and piping hot as well.

Your stomach grumbles loudly, and you scarf down the food in response. Once you're fully sated, you lean against the pillows. Surprisingly, your back doesn't really hurt like you'd expected it to; it's more sore, with the only pain coming from sudden movement.

"How were the waffles? I'm not the best cook, but I figured homemade was best since they're your favorite food," explains Wil as he picks up your tray.

"Thank you. Yes, they were delicious, and– wait, how do you know that waffles are my favorite food?" you squint suspiciously at Wilbur.

"That's actually the perfect question. I'll answer that for you in just a moment." He winks at you, the turns to stride out of the room.

"Wilbur, wait! What do you mean? ...Wil? Wilbur!"

His jaunty whistling doesn't stop even after you holler after him, and you groan in frustration. Techno simply raises an eyebrow at you.

"What? You definitely know something that I don't." You stare Techno down, eyes narrowed intimidatingly, but the little smug smile never fades from his face.

"...Maybe. Maybe not."

You can feel another frustrated sigh building up. "Will you please just-"

"Y/n!" sing-songs Wilbur from the hallway, strutting in proudly. "May I prese–"

"Y/n!" cries a familiar, sweet voice. A blond girl slips out from behind Wilbur and practically throws herself at you, squeezing you with all of the ferocity in her body.

Your arms tighten around her without even a conscious thought, and you curl your fingers into comforting cyan fabric, breathing in the ever so faint smell of lavender. Tears well in your eyes, and you feel wet spots on your shoulder as Niki trembles silently in your arms.

"I thought I would never see you again," she whispers, then pulls back to punch you in the shoulder. It's not very hard, and she latches back on to you immediately. "I thought, I thought that I wouldn't see you again! I- arschloch."