33 - Aquaintances and Adjustments

Before you can truly process exactly what unnerves you about Mikah, though, Techno sweeps you away from Sam and the odd enderman.

"Hey, Keyleth," he calls, garnering the attention of a redheaded woman dressed in formal flowing greens, a mantle of ethereally rippling leaves draped over her shoulders, and a circlet of antlers adorning her head. She glances over from her conversation with a warm smile, waving at Techno.

"Hey! Long time no see, Techno. Who's this?"

Techno laughs. "Yeah, I left for Camarvan right as you got back from your overseas trip, didn't I? This is Y/n, she's the newest fixture in the household. Y/n, this is Keyleth, she's the druid on the council and she's credited with much of the prosperity in our lands today."

Keyleth waves a hand, embarrassed. "Please. You give everyone else too much credit, Techno. You're the youngest Magister in the past two centuries.and incredibly powerful to boot."

You raise your eyebrows. "Techno didn't tell me he was that highly acclaimed."

Keyleth laughs and Techno rolls his eyes, clearly trying to hide his embarrassment. "He's modest. I bet you didn't know that Chancellor Puffy actually has him named as her successor, too."

You whirl around, grinning, and place your hands on your hips. "No, I didn't. Techno! You have to tell me these things. I didn't know that I've been spending time with a celebrity!"

Keyleth laughs again, high-pitched and bubbly, and Techno's blushing bright pink. "I regret introducing you two," he grumbles, but he can't hide his smile.

"Alright," Keyleth announces, shooing you off. "Go greet everyone else! Enjoy yourselves, have a good time. Don't be too worried, Puffy's parties may seem formal but they're always really relaxed."

You thank the druid, looping your arm in Techno's once more. As he guides you away from the crowd, you notice him steering you towards the center of the room. His arm slips out of yours, and he steps around in front of you.

"May I have this dance, m'lady?" Techno bows, extending a hand to you with a flourish.

You laugh, smiling widely, and lace your fingers with his. For a moment he seems to be dressed more casually, the room around you a secluded room in the manor instead of a grand ballroom. "Of course. You don't even have to ask."

He tugs you gently into a dancing hold, a hand gentle at your waist, and you begin to dance as the orchestra launches into song. "You look absolutely stunning tonight. I hope it's okay that I matched with you."

"It's more than okay," you breathe out, your world only him and you. "I'm honored." The song lilts and crescendos, and you lean your head onto his shoulder. You can feel his breath hitch.

He shakes his head. "No, I am to be with you. I... Y/n, I..."

You wait patiently, watching as he tries to form words. Slowly, the orchestra's song fades to an end, the last strains of the violins singing softly. He dips you shallowly, a gentle lean before he pulls you back up. Your feet still on the dance floor.

"Would you like to take a walk with me?" He finally asks.

You slip your hand off of his shoulder, leaving you with only your hands locked together. "Sure."

The two of you meander away from the center of the dance floor as the orchestra begins again, strings and flutes flowing together in the air. You pass by Philza and Kristin, chatting with Keyleth and Mikah, and catch Kristin's eye with a quick wave and a gesture outside. She winks at you, and you blush.

You and Techno make your way outside, the chatter of the party fading into the quiet late-autumn air of the gardens. There are lanterns lining the stone path to a secluded gazebo, covered in beautiful climbing ivy and warmly lit by hanging lights. Flowers float around in mid-air, glimmering gold with magic, and your breath catches in your throat. Techno just watches you spin in circles, his expression a soft smile that makes something in your chest ache.

He plucks a glowing rose from the air, the wine--red color easily visible despite the dim lanterns and pale blue moonlight, and tucks it gently behind your ear.

His actions are so gentle it practically hurts. His fingers sweep back your hair, trailing down along your jaw to cup your face.

"Y/n, I brought you out here to tell you something that I didn't know if I would have the courage to actually tell you." His voice is soft and deep, and you unconsciously lean into his touch even more. "I didn't know If I would be brave enough, but I'm trying for you. You're beautiful and courageous and I can't even speak when I look at you sometimes. I'm stupidly in love with you, and that might be too soon or too forward but it's true."

You curl your fingers into the collar of Technoblade's shirt and pull him into a kiss.

His lips are soft and pliant as you press against him, delicate and hesitant. All of your hesitancy dissolves, though, when you feel his fingers cup around your jaw, guiding you to tilt your head and deepen the kiss. He tastes of chocolate and fruit, and you can feel his grip tighten around your waist as you sigh into his mouth.

He kisses like a summer storm, heady and passionate and wild but still gentle and sweet. He lets you lead, letting you tug him backwards step by step until you're caged between him and one of the gazebo's sides. Surprisingly, though, you don't feel trapped, only protected by his arms-- muscular and toned from swordwork-- as he leans towards you. His kisses dip into a rhythm, forming a gentle beat as he moves from your mouth to sprinkle kisses along your cheeks, neck, and shoulders like stars. The scruff on his chin tickles the sensitive skin of your neck, and you huff out a breathy giggle.

Your hands move to loop around his neck, your fingers threading through his silky smooth hair and intricate braids. Your comb through the strands and let your hands wander, gliding down his shoulders to tug at the ruffles of his shirt collar.

Techno's butterfly kisses are gentle, fluttering across the skin of your collarbones and back up to your face. He presses one last delicate kiss to your nose, humming softly as he does so.

You lean your forehead against his, just enjoying the closeness. Techno's arms around your waist shield you in as the two of you gently sway, the rumbles of his happy humming becoming a symphony for only the two of you to hear.