24 - Invitations and Investigation

"A... gala?" you ask, raising your eyebrow.

"That actually might be a good idea," mutters Techno. "What reason, though? You need an excuse to hold it."

Puffy shrugs. "I don't know if you remember, but if there's an event being held for the anniversary of the L'Manburg Library's 550th year since opening."

Techno's eyes widen. "I forgot about that. That'll actually be a perfect reason."

"Exactly. And you can bring a plus one! Y/n, you'll be invited, of course, along with Philza. Demons are already included with sorcerers and won't count towards the plus one, so Niki here and your two brothers will be just the right amount of people."

"That would be perfect, actually, but I don't have anything to wear to an event like that," says Niki quietly, looking down at her hands.

"I don't either," you add.

Chancellor Puffy's wicked grin widens. "Not yet, but you will soon."

Across the room, you see Dream bury his face in a pillow. "No, why'd you have to tell her that? She's gonna drag me through like eight hours of shopping."

"You say that as if you didn't trail me everywhere I went like a little duckling for the first decade of your life."

"Mama!"

Puffy just laughs and nudges her son gently. "You don't have to come with us. I'll just take Niki and Y/n to get fitted for something, and you can stay here. Techno, do you need an outfit?"

Techno backs away, scooting subtly behind Dream. "Phil and I are both fine, thank you."

"She's scary when it comes to fancy events," Dream stage whispers to Techno. Techno nods frantically.

Puffy rolls her eyes. "Whatever, don't let them get to you. Now: suit or dress?"

"Puffy, you really don't have to do this," you protest as the shop assistant adjusts you into a new position like she's molding clay. "I can't pay you back, so-"

Puffy waves her hand. "It would be rude of me to invite you without providing you the means to be able to attend. Plus, I get paid well, and I like to splurge. I have two sons, so I don't get to buy dresses very often."

"Still, this is- ... wow."

Niki steps out from behind a curtain with a rustle of fabric. The bodice of her dress is fitted, with the neckline sweeping beneath her collarbones and out, leaving her shoulders bare. Snowy blue tulle spills down from her waist, pooling to a stop just above her ankles, and a sheer, gauzy cape trails from the shoulders of the dress. Tiny fabric butterflies sprinkle the shoulder of her dress, and more are tossed like stars at the hem of her dress.

All in all, she's a vision. She twirls around the shop, barefoot and giggling with excitement as the shimmering blue fabric spins around her.

"Niki, you look amazing," you breathe out. "The dress looks perfect on you."

Puffy smiles proudly, hands on her hips. "Absolutely." she turns to the owner of the store, falling into a discussion about payment interspersed with friendly chatter.

As she does so, you turn to Niki. "You really do look amazing."

She twirls again, watching herself spin in the mirror. "This is the most beautiful thing I've ever worn." You can't help but beam with excitement. Her smile is contagious as she swishes the skirt of her gown.

Puffy meanders back over towards you, hands shoved into her pockets. "Y/n, why don't you look for a dress or suit you like while I get fitted for my new formal coat? Thalia and I," she gestures to the owner "Can get the small adjustments for Niki's dress all sorted out while you browse."

"Sounds good to me." You watch as Niki is ushered away by the two women, and you spin to glance around the store. It's a maze of tulle, velvet, and silk, with shimmering fabric and deep jewel tones tucked into crevices. You reach out a hand to brush against the racks as you peruse, fingers dancing across the textures as you walk.

Chartreuse, emerald, cobalt, rose. The colors melt together in your vision as you slip between the racks and mannequins. You trail along, humming to yourself quietly. You've never worn a ballgown before; flowing skirts and masses of ruffles aren't exactly conducive to scaling shelves.

The quiet of the shot is broken only by the soft shuffle of your feet as you lose yourself in the emporium of dress styles. Which cut would look best on you? What color? What fabric?

Which one would Technoblade like the most?

The thought is so casual that you almost don't notice it slip through your mind. You hadn't even noticed when his opinion started to matter so much.

Your face reddens as you lose yourself in thought, but you shake your head. When you pull yourself out of that train of thought, your hand is clutching the folds of a stunning dress.

You pull it off of the rack, holding it up to yourself. The gown itself is a beautiful shade: the cut of the skirt is beautiful, and the bodice is gorgeously sewn. All in all, it's perfect; even when you duck into the fitting room to try it on, it's a near-perfect accentuation of your body. It feels as soft and delicate as a rose petal as it brushes against your thighs.

"Oh, it's beautiful," sighs Puffy as you push the curtain aside. Niki's mouth drops open, and her eyes are practically sparkling.

"Oh, Y/n, you look so beautiful," she exclaims. "It fits amazingly."

"You're sure?" You ask, fiddling with your bracelet nervously.

"Positively. You look radiant."

Puffy nods her agreement. "I'm absolutely buying that for you."