1 - Pages and Ink

The whispers of pages and the rustling of grimoires echoes around the vaulted ceilings and dark bookshelves of the library as you push the door open, breathing in the creamy scent of inked paper. You dodge between tables, nodding to archivists and scholars as you dash through. The papers clutched in your hand flutter in your wake as you reach the door to the Director's office, not a moment too soon as the door swings open.

The Director, a tall, dark-skinned woman with a cloud of ebony-dark hair pulled into a severe tuft behind her head, beckons you into her office. She cuts an intimidating figure behind her desk, made even more imposing by the scar that tracks down the side of her face from her temple to the corner of her mouth.

She'd gotten the scar from defeating a Malefict at the age of twenty single-handedly, bringing down the corrupted grimoire with the very sword that is now sheathed at her side, the rubies on its pommel glinting fiercely in the warm light.

Her gaze is piercing but warm, looking you over as you step through the doorway and into her office, stepping up to the mahogany desk she stands behind.

You stifle your heavy breathing, trying not to show exactly how much of a hurry you were in to get here. The Director arches an eyebrow knowingly, but her lips stay pressed shut. Biting back a sigh of relief, you follow her into the office, handing her the sheaf of papers you'd nearly forgotten in your haste to get here. As she takes them from your hands and motions for you to sit as she leafs through them, the silence becomes deafening.

"...Director Arya?" you ask tentatively. "If I may ask, why am I here? I know you needed- I know I had to fill out those papers, but....why?"

The Director looks up from the papers, adjusting her gold-rimmed glasses, She searches your eyes for a long moment before finding....something. Whatever it is, it makes her voice ring with finality when she speaks.

"Y/n, you've always known that you had great potential. I've told you that for as long as you've been under my care, and you've grown so much here. However, I think that you'll find that you've grown out of our home at the library here." She smiles wistfully as your lips part a bit in shock and places a gentle hand over yours. "That's why I'm making the decision to transfer you to the library in the capital for your training as an archivist."

You gasped. L'manburg, the capital city, was home to a library that housed a sprawling expanse of tomes so rich with knowledge that it would take centuries to read them all. It was practically a dream come true; you'd been hoping for a transfer for ages. It was the chance of a lifetime.

"...Provided, of course, you pass the final test of your apprenticeship here."

Your shoulders straighten as you stand up proudly. "Of course, director." The apprentice's belt around your waist feels almost warm, the weight of its protective salt canisters comforting. Not that they would do too much against a larger Malefict, but still.

"Tonight, a Class Eight grimoire is arriving from the vaults of Snowchester. You will be here at exactly seven, fully equipped and prepared to assist me with the transfer."

You nod sharply, trying not to vibrate with excitement as the Director dismisses you back to your duties. Once you're out of sight of the office, you finally let loose and your feet pick up speed. Your grin is so wide that it almost hurts when you finally sprint up to your best friend's desk in the library, where she's cataloging transfers.

"Niki! Niki!" you hiss excitedly, and she almost drops her pen at the excitement in your voice. "I'm helping the Director with a transfer tonight, and she said if it goes well she'll finalize my transfer to the L'manburg library!"

Niki shoots up out of her chair to tackle you in a hug, her two-toned hair flying into your face as she jumps on you. "Y/n, that's fantastic! I am so proud of you!" When she pulls away from the hug, she's beaming just as widely as you are. "This is fantastic, oh my goodness, we have to celebrate somehow!"