Chapter 12 -confrontation

"where'd this bloodstain come from?" you asked with a curious expression on your face.

Pouring the rest of the drink into his cup, Levi finally seemed to have warmed up to the idea of having a conversation. Leaning back against the couch, you watched as he placed an arm over the couch edge.

"Not exactly a conversation I'd like to have with someone I just met," he responded, looking back at you with no hint of sarcasm.

Snapping the blade back down into the holder, you sheepishly handed it back to him. You knawed on the inside of your cheek while forcing a small smile, sure that you blew in in regards to making a new friend.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked," you simply replied, taking another sip from your drink.

-Your conversation continued with Levi after the two boys had appeared. While Connie was now attempting to persuade Jean to throw a party next weekend, Eren was quick to excuse himself so he could socialize with the other people in the room.

You didn't blame him. Considering the fact that he probably remembered the whole disaster from yesterday, you were glad he wasn't going to throw it in your face. Besides, it's not like he's exactly obligated to hang out with you.

You sighed, resting your palm to your temple as you opened a new can of beer.

How long was Hitch going to be occupied today? Could Jean and Hitch be fighting? Does Eren seem a bit off?

"I didn't expect you to get depressed from my comment," Levi started, pulling you back out of your thoughts.

Your eyes flashed over to the perplexed boy beside you when he spoke. Your lips were still resting on the can as you looked back down, shrugging slightly.

"Nah, you're fine," you replied shortly. Taking another mouthful, you swigged your drink down without care. You could use a buzz right now, afterall.

"As much as I'd like to return to my book, Jean looks rather occupied," he motioned a thumb to the pair in front of you. "And I'm not one for awkward silence."

Was this his way of asking you to talk to him? You were still oblivious to how Levi was as a person, but since you're here, (with no one else to talk to for that matter), you figured you might as well.

Slipping your drink between your legs, you cleared your throat before turning to look at him. "I've read that before, the first one was way better," pointing at the book resting on his lap, smiling a little. "The love triangle was unnecessary, and the ending nearly made me cry."

Levi gave you a strange look. Bringing a finger to his chin, he was now visibly thinking to himself.

Was he surprised, or was he pissed off you essentially spoiled it? You couldn't tell, and you definitely did not want to see the second outcome.

Shaking your head slightly, you raised a hand in front of yourself defensively. "Wait, I'm sorry, I probably-"

"I've already read it twice," he cut you off. A habit you've now taken note of. "I thought the ending was perfect."

Eyes widening at that simple sentence, you stayed still for a moment. Downing the rest of your drink, you set the now empty can onto the table. Turning your body sideways so you could rest a knee on the couch, your eyes unintentionally began to sparkle.

"Have you read his other books? What about the movie remake?" you tried not to sound silly, but you haven't been able to talk about your interests so casually before.

You could visibly see Levi try to fight off an almost mocking laugh. Lifting an arm from the top of the couch, he tilted his head slightly to rest over his knuckles. He looked more at ease, intrigued by your reaction. Before Levi had the chance to say anything more, though, a random gasp burst out from in front of you both.