Chapter 18 - acceptance

Author's note:

I think this song fits well with you and Eren's "relationship"

Also omg ty guys for 2k

--------------

Your mind was filled to the brim with plundering emotions. Emotions and questions you weren't even aware of began to form.

Why?

Why were you so quick to accept his invitation over here?

Once again, you laid there silently, undressed and exhausted.

You had lost track of time. It's been a couple of hours since the two of you had come back to his place.

You heard some commotion downstairs, and you have yet to hear Connie's door open through the paper-thin walls. You weren't sure if that was a good thing or not.

Turning over to look at the man sleeping beside you, you realized his bun was falling out. Strands of hair swept over his face, some even slicked down with sweat.

You once again found yourself smiling without realizing it.

Such pretty eyelashes.

You could have sat there for longer, taking in the features he didn't care to hide. Only a single blanket covered up his hips, the sweat he worked up now dried down.

He wanted me to rest, yet here I am staring at him like a creep.

As the sun continued to stray further from the window's view, you were left in the silence of your own thoughts. Resting was far from your concern apparently.

You were tempted to reach out an arm, to just graze the warmth of his skin, to fix the hair that hid him from view, but you didn't. You couldn't.

Just a few days ago you convinced yourself you wouldn't be sitting in such a predicament.

So why?

Your mind was far from clear, and it was stressful. Your blood ran cold as he suddenly shifted his body, giving out a faint groan. You watched as his head burrowed deeper into the pillow he had in clutch, along with his bare shoulder sticking farther out. You thought he would wake up and catch you staring, and that scared you.

But his breathing only continued, much longer, and more peacefully.

Do you even have the right to feel sentiment? That he felt at ease to fall asleep in his own bed?

As you slowly inched your legs to the edge of the mattress, you sat up as quietly as possible. Your body was very sore, and it ached terribly in your joints to do so. But you were more concerned about waking Eren, so you bared with it.

As you stepped carefully around the room, you slowly started to retrieve the pieces of clothing he had scattered.

Each time you squeezed a piece of clothing on, you'd look back at Eren, hoping the movement wouldn't wake him. You wanted to leave quietly, before you did, or even said, something you'd regret.

As you slipped your shoes over your heels, your eyes landed back on his desk. The one thing you were supposed to retrieve barely came back into mind. 

As you stepped closer to the table, your eyes glazed over the huge pile that sat before you. It wasn't just your folder among that pile, but several. Different subjects, different names, all placed disorderly before you.

You felt a slight pang in your chest. Why?

You couldn't help but let curiosity get the best of you. Besides, you did need your folder, so.