Chapter 28 - alcohol

As soon as you walked into the frat, you were instantly met with chaos.

Music blared in the background while people chatted thoughtlessly among themselves. Some people were dancing far too wild for your taste, while there were others who only encouraged them to continue. Someone was already laying flat on the floor as you walked through the crowd.

You cowered slightly behind Levi, seeing as there was very little walking space. Though he didn't seem to mind, it was still surprising how little he cared for socializing.

You really did wonder how a guy like him befriended these kinds of people, but then again your circumstances weren't that much different. In a way, you saw a bit of yourself in him.

"Should we go to the basement or hang around here first?" You turned to Hitch, who was already waving at people not too far from your group.

"Huh? Let's stay here for a bit. You should loosen up before the big show," she replied, swaying her body slightly to the music. 

Marlo only stood beside the girl, forming a small smile as he watched her dance. He was likely used to her bright attitude, but then again, who wouldn't be? She always knew how to lighten the mood. 

You unknowingly smiled to yourself as you looked it over. Naturally, you couldn't say that you knew the guy all too well, but you really did hope he was truly content with her decision. 

As familiar as that situation sounded, you brushed it off, turning to Levi with your brows raised. 

"Should we grab a drink then? Or are you still trying to stay true to God?" you joked, tilting your head slightly. 

The boy then turned his focus towards your roommate, who was already being recognized by people. You watched as a whole new group of people found themselves around her. 

"Well, looks like your roommate is occupied," he spoke in a flat tone, as if imitating your reaction from the other night. 

You let out a chuckle as you crossed your arms, looking down. The simple comment was enough to put you at ease, at least for the moment. 

"I won't make you," you affirmed the boy, turning towards the kitchen and letting him decide for himself. Even though he invited himself, you still respected the fine line of boundaries.

Surprisingly enough, he did follow, but clearly not as enthusiastic about it. 

"You're really going to take Jean's word over that?" he challenged, catching up to your pace ahead. 

As the both of you entered the kitchen, you were surprised to see that there weren't as many people inside. Surely a bunch of fraternity boys would be quick to raid the cabinets on such a night, after all. 

"What do you mean?" you questioned, turning back towards him.

"I never said I didn't drink, I just can't handle too much," he confessed, turning around to lean against the counter. 

"Well, then," you paused, opening the fridge beside him. "Let's salvage what we can find."

"There's a can of beer... oh! White claw is perfect for you," you gasped.

Reaching to the bottom shelf of the fridge, you seized hold of the drinks, which were surprisingly missed by previous dwellers.

After you closed the fridge, you turned back to the counter, only to see that he was not there. 

You turned a full circle in confusion, nearly jumping when you found him standing right behind you.

Arms crossed, he was gazing elsewhere as you began to collect yourself.