|Chapter Three| Protect

Elowyn's POV

I looked around the detention room. The teacher was sitting at his desk with his feet up, while leaning back in his chair. I sighed. I felt as if someone were burning holes into my head.

 I turned and saw Chase glaring at me. My palms began to sweat, I transferred my anxious energy to bouncing my leg up and down. Only Chase managed to make me this anxious and he knew it. I felt as if no matter how hard I tried to get away from him, he'd always haunt me.

I heard Billie cough as if he were trying to get my attention. I looked to the right to see him. His eyebrows were raised, and his head was tilted slightly. Our eyes met and I could see the concern in his eyes. I quickly broke eye contact with him as he mouthed 'Are you ok?' I simply nodded and tugged at my sleeves anxiously.

The room remained silent. Up until we heard snoring. "Ugh finally!" Tre shouted loudly. I flinched, afraid that his shouting would wake the teacher up. "Don't worry about him. The teacher's a deep sleeper. He could probably sleep through nuclear sirens." Mike said pointing to the teacher with his thumb to the side. 

"Phew!" I pretended to swipe nonexistent sweat from my forehead with the back of my hand.

Billie laughed at my reaction and to my surprise, he booped my nose. I turned a slight shade of pink and giggled softly, completely forgetting about Chase in the room.

"Elowyn, why don't you come here for a second." Chase demanded. Not only did my smile drop, but my heart dropped immediately as well. 

I got up and slowly walked over to him. 

When I reached his desk, Chase snatched my wrist tightly and yanked me towards him so that he could whisper in my ear. I flinched, as he held my wrist tightly in his grasp.

"So you're hanging around the three Stooges now hm?! You pick those idiots over me?!" He hissed loud enough for me to hear, but not the others. I could feel all their eyes on us, but I pretended I didn't. My eyes were tearing up and I managed to slip my hand from Chase's death grip. 

I rubbed my wrist gently because it was slightly sore. Normally I'd walk away after Chase acts up like this, but this time was different. 

I slammed both of my hands down on the desk and got in his face. He leaned back, away from my face. "They're my friends and I will always pick them over you. And don't bother stopping by my house tonight to give me one of your 'apologies' because I won't be there." I growled lowly. 

With that, I whipped around to go back to my seat. As soon as I turned, Billie, Tre, and Mike quickly acted as if they were in a very interesting conversation with each other. I soon jumped in with their conversation. Tre and Mike seemed to have moved on from what had happened. But Billie seemed to look at me questioningly. 

Eventually, the teacher's detention alarm went off, which scared him awake. He handed all of us our phones back.

The first thing I did when I got mine back was block Chase's number. 

We walked out of the room and Billie put his arm over my shoulders in a friendly way. But I couldn't help but think that Billie was protecting me too. 

When we reached the student parking lot Billie spoke up. "So we all carpool in Mike's truck and earlier we discussed that it would be easier if you just rode with us and went straight to my house." He smiled looking down at me. I was still tucked under his arm. 

"That sounds perfect to me! I'll just text my mom letting her know, in the truck."

Mike led us to his truck and unlocked it. Mike was driving of course and Tre sat in the front passenger seat. Billie sat in the back with me.

While I was texting my mom, letting her know that I was going to a friend's house, I heard Tre say, "Wow! Beej didn't try and fight me for the front seat this time." I laughed and Mike responded with, "Yeah it's probably because he wants to sit next to his Pooh bear." With that came Tre making kissie noises and I turned as red as a tomato, but I still laughed. Billie smacked the back of their heads. 

Eventually we arrived to Billie's house. Tre and Mike hopped out and headed into Billie's house as if they owned the place. I hopped out of the truck after Billie. He grabbed my hand and dragged me into his house. That's when I caught sight of Ollie in the kitchen. I stopped walking and stood in the door way of the kitchen.

I gave a friendly wave. "Hi Mrs. Armstrong!" I received the same warm smile she had given me at the gas station. "Oh, no need to call me that, dear. You can just call me Ollie." I grinned, "Thank you for the cookies earlier! I tried some and I loved them!" Ollie's eyebrow furrowed in confusion, "Cookies?" 

Suddenly I felt Billie's hand on my wrist again as he dragged me away real fast from Ollie. It must've been Billie who made those cookies for me. Huh, I wonder why.