Prologue

Air violently pushes against me. As it does, an unknown heat pierces through my veins, the feeling like being engulfed in a sea of everlasting flames. I feel my body plummet at an unnatural rate. Commanding myself to move, vicious sparks shoot through my body like lightning, forcing me into a state of paralysis.

And then, my back slams into a hard surface. All of the air is knocked out of me within one fell swoop. A cold gust of wind washes over my face, relieving the burning heat travelling along my skin. Trapped in a paralysed state, I struggle to breathe under the immense weight on my chest.

I begin to sift through the dark abyss that takes over my surroundings. A dim light shimmers at the end of it, the colour an extravagant cerulean. It sways back and forth like a synchronised dance. Moving toward it, I feel as if I am floating. My body seems to be as light as a cloud. Continuing on towards the light, I reach out to it, falling forward in the process.

The heavy weight against my chest suddenly disappears. I gasp for air, choking on it quickly afterwards. My entire body becomes heavier and heavier as I feel life return to it. Through my distorted vision, a thick net of hair creates a cage over my face. Raising a hand, radiant, cerulean fire dances along my smooth, bare skin. Gusts of wind cause the inferno to pick up its synchronised dance. The edges of the flames thrust back and forth with greater force. Breathing in, I find my strength and sit upright, pushing away the strands of hair falling into my face.

Glancing around at my surroundings, cerulean fire burns away in masses. It leaves nothing but ash behind. I sit in a deep crater, so deep I cannot see what lies above and beyond. All that is shown above is a clear black canopy consumed with stars. My bare legs catch my attention. What may have once been my clothes now incinerates in the flames that travel along my body.

A soft ring emits from my chest, something cold and hard resting against it; an amulet. The delicate clear blue rock that is hugged by silver gently flickers with light. Soft rings come from each pulse. I scoop it up into my palm. The silver chains that hold the pendant softly clink against each other in the process. They shimmer under the light, like stardust. It hugs the circular pendant which looks to represent the moon.

Its beauty is mesmerising, and yet, all I can feel is resentment towards this amulet, dread mixing in with the feeling.

Stumbling to my feet, my muscles and joints ache with every movement. With a swift inhale, I am able to gather more strength. Hopefully it will be enough to remove me from this place. My feet dig into the deep ashes that make the walls of the crater. The small specks tickle the skin hiding between my toes. The ashes are soft but rough to the touch. The feeling is like walking along mud filled with rocks and sticks.

I push through the discomfort and pull myself upward. As I do, exhaustion immediately nips at my body, trying to manipulate it into giving up. Looking back down again, I notice how incredibly deep it all is. The crater tears away a massive chunk of the forest area. Above me, the remaining trees slowly incinerate into ash. It creates a heavy draft that slams into my body. Due to my weakness, I struggle to climb. I try to cover my eyes with my arm, avoiding the specks of ember that travel with the wind.

As I reach the top, I give in to the exhaustion and take a moment's rest. I wonder to myself if I did all of this. Alas, for some reason I cannot remember. My mind is an empty space. Such a feeling fills me with terror. Nothing presents itself as I try to think or recall. The strenuous act leaves a slight headache. Hopelessness overcomes my pitiful, nude state. The cold bites at my bare skin, absorbing the heat from the burning flames. Shivering, I force myself back to my feet, desperate to find shelter.