Chapter Three

Four years pass.

I mark the first day of October on the imaginary calendar in my head. A soothing gust of Fall's eve sweeps into the room from my open window. Outside, the leaves in the trees within HQ begin to shift into brilliant colours. A sigh escapes me as I bring my mug of tea to my lips. The steam gently tickles the underside of my nose, forming small dewdrops along my skin. The smell of fresh herbs gives me a gentle push out of my grogginess. I force myself to eat and drag myself into the shower, washing away the morning scent.

I check outside. The rain from last night freezes over on the roads. Frost trickles along the edges of the coloured trees. The sun causes it to slowly melt and drip down onto the ground.

I stare emotionlessly outside. The empty void in my heart can't possibly grow any deeper. The four years of living here in the deep depths of solitary have been excruciatingly long. Working as a nurse and caring for injured Eldians has started to wear down on me. All these years working in such a position, my body continues to ache every morning, sore from just being in the presence of broken men. Everyday I move with a heavy heart, caring for dejected men who are hollow shells of themselves.

The news of the military returning leaves me in fear. They will return with casualties, and I fear Falco will be amongst them. The battlefield is no place for children. Four years is a very long time, especially for a child. They should all be twelve years old now. They will be returning full fledged soldiers.

The hem of my black, winter dress drags along the stone floor of the barracks. I pull the skirt upward as I step down the few steps that lead outside. These clothes used to fit me perfectly. Now they do not.

A cold gust of wind smacks me in the face as I step outside. It tries to steal the heat from my shower that my dress absorbs. I keep my hands close to my sides and make my way to Mr. and Mrs. Jaeger's house with my police officers following close beside me. Arriving at their house, they feed me before we go to the gates to greet the returning soldiers.

Since Mr. Jaeger has family returning, he has the right to take the day off, and I am allowed to join him. However, the return of the military will also reveal my fate here. The war between Marley and the Middle East has been a distraction from me. But now that they will be returning soon, everyone's attention will fall back onto me again. I still must grant the Mark of the Celestite to someone.

A large crowd forms around the gates that separate the Internment Zone from the Marleyan District. Excitement fills the usual dark, gloomy air that travels through this district. Families gather together with one another, waiting eagerly for their family to arrive on the train and return home. My heart pounds aggressively against my chest. The anticipation is just far too great.

"I can't wait for my grandson to return home," Mrs. Jaeger says. "I'll prepare his favourite meal."

"He'll love that." Dr. Jaeger replies. "I'm sure he's eagerly awaiting your cooking."

Steam appears in the distance on the other end of the gate. The harsh rattling of train wheels race our way. The crowd begins to stir. The anticipation grows stronger, causing all of us to take a few steps forward towards the gate. The train stops at the station just out of our sight. As the gates open, groups of soldiers pile into the Internment Zone. Sobs of joy come from the families surrounding us. I try my best to sift through the crowd to find familiar faces.

"Grandpa! Grandma!" Zeke appears before us, arms stretched out to his grandparents. "It's so good to see you." He wraps his arms around Mrs. Jaeger, hugging her tightly.

"We're so very proud of all of your achievements." Dr. Jaeger says to him.

"I'm not done. Not yet." He smiles and looks down at me. "I know it's been a long four years for you. Glad to see you're doing well."