Chapter Four

Three years finally pass.

My road to the Survey Corps grows closer. The big test that leads to graduation sets itself on today. I take a deep breath in and slip out of my bunk. Everyone around me is still fast asleep. Because of that, I am able to enjoy fresh hot water from the shower. My nerves didn't allow me to get any sleep last night. I notice the dark eyebags under my eyes as I stare into the mirror. However, exhaustion sounds like a myth to me at the moment. The excitement is just too great. It won't be much longer until I see Levi again.

The anchor of my ODMG latches into another tree and pulls my body forward. The wind cuts through the trees, making evasive maneuvers a bit tricky for all of us. Shadis sits on a branch, observing every single one of us closely. My eyes scan the woods for any wooden titans in sight. A 15 meter catches my eye and I hit my gas harder with my thumb. My cables pull me downwards, allowing me to make a clean, deep cut in the nape.

Jean's cheering cuts through the forest."That's my girl! Look at you go!" He thunders down from above. Due to this being our last day, I begin to see him in a new light and I notice how much he has grown. A taller, broader young man flies over me with a glistening smile. "Woot woot!" He sings. "Now, watch your boy go!" He sneers, flipping his body around to cut a deep wound in the nape like mine, but a few inches deeper.

Determined, emerald eyes catch my attention. They fly out of nowhere, slicing viciously into the nape of a 10 metre. His chestnut hair flies freely in the wind. I notice him from a new perspective as well. His body is bigger and broader like Jean's. New maturity washes over his face. He smiles happily at me before he disappears into the trees.

Jean begins to grumble insults at him once he notices that the cut was deeper than his. Eren hears this and whips his head backward. "The hell did you just call me, Horse Face!?"

An aggravated sigh escapes me. Despite how much they have grown, their maturity level is still the same.

"ALRIGHT CADETS! THIS IS YOUR FINAL TEST OF HAND TO HAND COMBAT!" Shadis announces to us as we all stand on the sandy terrain. The new summer's eve beams down on us. "YOU WILL NOW PAIR UP WITH THE PERSON ASSIGNED TO YOU!"

After announcing our partners, I walk up and stand across from Armin. His height is now visibly more. His body still remains quite petite but maturity shows in his soft, gentle face. I can only smile sweetly at him. I feel a bit guilty having to spar against him like this. His face flushes with red as he looks at me. Growing taller over the years, he does indeed come off a bit intimidating as he charges at me with his knife. However, one look in his eyes and the intimidation is gone. I kick his feet out from under him, quickly taking up his knife.

"Nice work." He praises with his sweet smile. He accepts my hand and pushes up onto his feet.

Eren is ordered up next. "Here." He calmly says, tossing me the knife.

Knowing him, I charge without hesitation. His actions are quick and he seizes my wrists before I even realise it, sending me to the ground afterwards.

"Wow," I quietly say. "I'm impressed." Looking him over again, he is not the same boy from three years ago.

He offers me his hand and pulls me to my feet. "I know that wasn't your best." He says to me with his noticeably deeper voice. "Try harder."

Glancing over at Shadis, he eyes me with the same thoughts in his head. I pick up the knife and charge again. My vision becomes clearer and I spin out of Eren's grip. He seems to be able to read and predict my movements. A consequence of all the sparring we did together over the years. A few kicks I throw at him are quickly deflected with his own. I quickly evade him, sending an elbow his way. He dodges it and seizes my arm.