Chapter 2

"Make sure those balloons get blown up please, we only have 30 minutes before this thing starts," Miranda Said walking through the house from the backyard.

"The tables are set up, food is ready, decorations are up...what else has to be done? What else? What else? Oh my god, the cake!! I forgot to pick up the cake. It's all the way across town." She said talking to herself. Sucking her teeth she to grab shoes and grab keys to run and pick up the cake. 

"Callie I have your car keys. I forgot the damn cake." She said on her way out the door to her friend who was fixing the banner at the entrance. Looking back at Miranda on her way out the door, she spoke.

"Oh no don't worry about it B- Ben is gonna bring it." She stuttered as the door opened and in walked Ben.

Miranda almost fainted as she realized who was in front of her. Ben felt like he was just submerged until water and he couldn't come up for air.  Clammy hands and heavy breaths were the only things present. Hearts throbbed and brains were working overtime.

"Let me take this and put it on the table." Callie said breaking the silence. She honestly thought Ben was going to drop the cake right out of his hands and she also wanted to get out of the room with the awkward energy.

"Mandy you're home...I- never expected to see you here." Ben said stuttering over heist words. Miranda wanted to respond but she felt like she was in the twilight zone.

"It's been 16 years. You left and never called again. I tried to look you up and couldn't find you on Facebook or anything. How have you been?" He said hugging her. She smelt the same. He missed her beyond belief, he still had her picture in his wallet from their prom night.

"I heard you went to Berkeley. Man I know you loved it there. Wow Miranda Bailey, right here in front of me. Who would've thought? Callie didn't even tell me you were in town. I missed you." Grabbing hold of her hands taking in her appearance. Every detail that had changed he took in with admiration.

Even after she had processed who was standing in front of her, she still hadn't said anything. The shock and the fear had taken over.  The one thing on her mind was him finding out about Brielle.

"Oh my goodness this place looks so nice." Elena said coming in the front door. She had just gotten her hair done for the party and seen the finished product. Seeing the two stuck in the middle of her walkway, she got nervous. Did he know about Brielle was the first thing and the second was why was her daughter frozen in time.

"Hey Mama E. Happy Anniversary." Ben greeted one of his favorite women. After living next door to her practically all of his life he grew to love the woman and her family. After the door opened once more William walked in and looked around. Taking in the scenery and walked to be by his wife's side. The two scanned the room and looked between Miranda's speechless frame and Ben's sparkling eyes. Reading the room William pushed Elena to the next room.

"But I want to see what's gonna happen William." Elena whispered being guided out of the room.

"Mom!" Sounded from upstairs. Down came Brielle with swinging hair and dressed for the event.

"I can't find my bag with my jewelry. Is it in your suitcase?" She said interjected herself into the moment. Soon as she turned the corner Ben felt as if he got hit by a bus. Once again he was struggling to take in oxygen.  Hurt and shocked flashed in his eyes as he looked from the girl to Miranda.

A stutter of explanation tried to leave Miranda but she couldn't form a sentence.

"Mom... my jewelry I need earrings for my outfit." Brielle said once again. Looking at the strange man, she waved. He had eyes similar to hers. She thought it was cool.