Chapter 15

Here is that 3,800-word chapter I was talking about.

Ben was at his locker getting ready to go home and see his family. Miranda was at home waiting on him to come back with her snacks, she'd been feeling down ever since she started her hormone therapy a few days ago, over the last few days their bed had become her best friend. Ben sat his phone down in front of him waiting for Miranda to respond with a full grocery list for him to fulfill after work. Getting through his entire shift with no casualties was what he called a good day and today that's exactly what he had. Getting a text from Miranda, he read through it walking down the stairs of his firehouse and making his way to the store.

Walking down the aisle full of snack items, he grabbed the items Miranda had asked for and continued on his journey until he saw a familiar face at the other end of the aisle. Seeing them push a small bag of crackers into their pocket Ben walked closer to them.

"Hey Joey, did you forget to get a basket at the front?" He said being sure to let the teen know he was caught.
"Ben, Hey I was just grabbing some snacks for my game later. I haven't seen you at Ms.Elena's house in a while." He responded in effort to change the subject
"No I've been a bit busy but let's talk a little bit more about those crackers in your pocket. Since when did you begin shoplifting?"Ben asked eyeing the teenager that stood almost as tall as him. Looking into Ben's eyes Joey didn't even see the slightest chance of him believing a lie so he decided the truth was his best option.

"I just needed something to eat but I-I didn't have the money." Joey admitted looking down towards the crackers in his pocket.

"I usually can stop by Ms.Elena's to grab some food before my game but she wasn't home so I came here to grab something small just to try and get rid of this headache I have." Joey continued

Inside Ben's heart ached for the young boy, he had grown to know him as the young boy who helped Miranda's parents out and other older people in their neighborhood. From what he knew he was a good kid, he never had any suspicion of him being a thief but from the sound of it, he didn't seem to have much of a choice.

"You don't have to steal food Joey, I will help you out man. You should've said something to Elena or me, you know we'd help you out. Why didn't your foster parents get you something to eat or some money? Last I heard you had been placed in a new home that was supposed to be better than the last. What happened?" Ben said taking the crackers out of Joey's pocket and placing them into his shopping cart.  "Foster Care just sucks, sometimes you have to take what you can get and deal with the rest." Joey said shrugging his shoulders. Ben shook his head and continued through the store with the teen just grabbing stuff he thought would be helpful for both Joey and Miranda.

He grabbed everything he thought was important and went to the front to pay.

"What time do you have to be there?" Ben asked breaking the silence

"In two hours, at my school gym." Joey said helping him bag everything and put it into the cart.

Walking out of the store he and Joey made it to his car and put the stuff inside of it.

"Get in the car and I'll take you to your practice after we grab something to eat at my house." He said patting the teenager on his shoulder trying to ease some of the tension. Getting into Ben's car the radio played softly and Joey decided he should get things off his chest.

"Ben, I hope you're not mad at me for stealing. I only did that because I didn't have any money and I haven't eaten in two days. I had to eat something. I only steal when I have to not because I think it's okay. I really don't want you to think less of me or think I'm a bad kid because I'm not and I stay out of trouble. My foster parents just don't give me a lot of food to eat. Maybe like twice a week they leave me leftovers from their food but it's not enough to last." He said trying to appeal to Ben.