Chapter 10

After being ignored by his daughter for three days now Ben decided to start writing his two-week notice. He didn't want to but his family was more important than any dream he could chase.

He talked to Richard at the hospital about getting his attending job back at the hospital. He was in the garage working on his project car he had since high school.

"Ben, you still in here working on that old hunk of junk." Miranda said walking into the garage.

"Yeah, I'm trying to finally fix the motor. You know I treat this car like my kid. " he said coming up from leaning inside the hood.

He wiped the motor oil off his hands and leaned back onto the car.

"You wanna get freaky in the backseat like old times?" He asked opening the car door.

"No, I don't. I'd like to know why you haven't told Brielle to stop being childish and suck it up. I would tell her but the way she's been acting I might wring her neck." Miranda said shifting her weight from one leg to the other.

"I've been trying to give her space. Our daughter can be a pain in the ass but I love her anyway. I don't want to mess up our relationship because given the circumstances of our relationship we have an amazing connection. I love firefighting but I love my family too much. I'm not willing to risk it for anything." Ben said explaining his dilemma.

"I understand that but how are you going to be the best version of yourself if you're not happy. That little girl has got you wrapped around her finger. You're willing to quit a job that you love when it's not necessary. You keep putting out those fires at work and then coming home to put my fire out in the bedroom." Miranda said wrapping her hand around his waist.

"You think she'll get over it?"
He asked running his hands down her back.

"Eventually she will if you stop babying her. Brielle is too old to throw tantrums or give people the silent treatment because she's pissed off about not getting her way."  Miranda said

"How do I get her to talk to me?  I want to keep my job but I can't have her mad at me. That's my baby, it'll kill me inside." He said

"Ben I'm going to be honest, Brielle is stubborn so there's really nothing you can do. If it were me I'd ignore her bratty ass back. If you take the power from her she'll break her little act. Just like you don't want her mad at you, she doesn't want you mad at her. It's tough love." Miranda said backing away

"You know what to do Ben. Just do it. " She said walking back into the house leaving him alone with his thoughts.

The next day Ben woke up to the sun in his face. Rolling over he was Miranda was still in Bed. Getting closer to her, he wrapped his arm around her and put his face in her neck.

"Ben this is very sweet, but it's hot honey. It's not cuddling weather." She said opening one eye still half asleep.

"I like the way you smell in the morning. It's my favorite thing to do when I wake up. I don't care if you're hot woman. Let me love on you." Ben said staying right where he was.

"I love you but right now, at this very moment, I can't stand you." Miranda said rubbing his knuckles that sat on her chest.

She cherished moments where she could be held by the man that she loved. Laying here in the bliss with Ben, she closed her eyes relaxing.  Until she was rudely interrupted by her bladder and forced out of the bed.

Deciding that was her queue to get up and start her day, she needed to go to the store and see her mother to talk to her about something that had been weighing heavy on her lately.