Once Bitten, Twice Shy

We're in the bridge for our lesson about the Fangpyre. The boys and I are sitting at one end of the table and Nya and a Fangpyre skeleton are at the other end. Nya takes the sheet off of the skeleton, meaning the lesson has begun. Kai boredly listens to his sister and Zane listens attentively. Cole is drawing himself fighting Serpentine and Jay is staring at her dreamily. He is also wearing a different hairstyle, which I think is weird.

"Some villagers unearthed the remains of this Fangpyre a few miles away. It predates the Golden Age, and must be hundreds of years old. Although the venom in the fangs of the Fangpyre genetically mutates human cells into reptilian, I've learned there could be a way to stop the effects without having to create an antivenin. If one is able to wildly raise their heart rate, hypothetically it could reverse the venom's effects." Nya's cheeks start turning pink. "Resulting in...diminished, uh-- Excuse me, is someone wearing perfume? I am severely allergic to perfume." Nya says. They all look at me and I look up, feeling their eyes on me.

"Don't look at me. I never liked that stuff." I shake my head.

"Heh. You told me it was men's cologne." Jay hisses at Kai.

"Eh, I get them mixed up." Kai shrugs. We all laugh at Jay's embarrassment and Kai and Zane high five. Zane opens his arm panel and turns his humor off and stands up.

"Ah, looks like class is over. Time to start stomping some Serpentine before they find any Fangblades." Cole says.

"Sounds like a plan." Kai agrees.

"I'm excited to join." Zane says, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

— —

I was in my room when there was a knock on the door. I was looking at old pictures of Lloyd and reading his old letters that he wrote to me.

"Come in." I say. The door opens and I look up seeing Zane come in. "What's up?" I ask, turning towards him. He closes the door and walks to the end of my bed.

"Is now a bad time?" He questions, noticing the stuff on my bed.

"No, not at all. Come sit." I tell him, scooting over slightly. He sits down and fumbles with his hands. I look at him but he avoids eye contact. "Zane? Is something wrong?" I ask and start putting everything away.

"No, everything is fine." He says and I stop. "I was wondering if you would like to go on a date, with me?" He asks. I grin at him and giggle. This causes him to smile.

"Oh, Zane. What were you thinking?" I ask.

"Uh, what? Did I read the signs wrong?" He gasps.

"No, Zane, no. What were you thinking? For a date." I clarify. He 'ohh's and thinks for a second.

"Jay is taking Nya to Mega-Monster Amusement Park. Would you like to go there?" He asks.

"But isn't that where our mission is?" I ask and continue to put the rest of the stuff in the box I keep it in.

"Oh, right." He says. I finish putting everything away but stop. I sigh, looking at a recent picture of Lloyd. "We will find him and rescue him, Emilia." I nod my head. I put the picture in the box and close it.

"I sure hope so." I reply. "Let's go." I walk out the door with him following and he closes the door behind him.

— —

"Where is everybody?" Kai asks. We're at Mega Monster Amusement Park, wondering where all the snakes are when we hear screaming behind us. We turn around to see a bunch of people run out of a ride screaming.

"Wait a minute. That ride was never scary." Cole points out.

"I think we found our scaly friends." I sigh.