Chapter 5

- “So, how was PE?!” Jenna jokes.

-“Awful” I say, “Chantelle was the centre of attention, as usual” I say. “She can’t even dance” I say.

- “I know, tell me about it!” Jenna says.

I take my phone and headphones out and we listen to Ed Sheeran and One direction all the way back home. I also know that Jenna has a massive crush on Harry Styles. Whereas I couldn’t care less about their looks. I simply like their music.

 Luckily we walk the opposite way to everyone else so we don’t have to worry about anyone making fun of us. We have walked back together since we started secondary school but we never run out of things to talk about. In fact, in the first few months of secondary school we always walked back with Jordan and Harley. We all had such good memories of messing around walking back home together. That all changed when they became popular and found their own group of people to hang around with. The popular people. We sometimes waved or said ‘hi’ but we never spoke at school. Not properly. Yet, as soon as we got home they were completely different people. We would go over to their houses and muck around having water fights in the summer and drinking hot chocolate in the winter. Then, it all changed. They both moved away when we were all fourteen after they got a record deal and we never spoke or heard anything from them. We just thought they’d forgotten about us.

 Our houses are way down the bottom of our town. We take the bus if it’s too cold or we can’t be bothered to walk back. Jenna lives next door to me so I practically live at her house.  My parents are always away because they are journalists but they trust me to stay at home alone. I’m sixteen for goodness sake! My parents work in different countries trying to find ‘the next biggest scoop’. They write for some newspaper, that’s how they met. I pack my bag with everything I need. An outfit for tonight dressed up casual, duvet and pillow, makeup, hair stuff and my phone. If I forget something I just borrow something from Jenna. She doesn’t mind. We’re like sisters.