An Unlikely Proposition

"[Name], why did you have to do that stupid stunt in the library? We were supposed to be study buddies! This is getting ridiculous now!" Hermione has expressed her woes to the aforementioned girl, throwing back her head and groaning. "Not only are you banned from Quidditch pitch but from the library... for a year! Next thing you know it's Hogwarts!"

"You're overreacting, Herm, besides, I never do work to help you guys anyway." Yes, it was quite unfortunate [Name] had been banned access to the library, but did she really care? Truthfully, a little but she tried not to show it to her best friend Hermoine. So she shrugged her shoulders and swang her arms, watching as her floppy sleeves to her cloak swayed with too much interest. But tailored robes? She was wearing Harry's, the devilish fiend. "More of a distraction than a study buddy, if you ask me. I can study for the exams in the common room. They have desks there. Don't worry you're little heart out."

"You're not a distraction, would you stop being so self-deprecating all the time. You're important to me [Name], and Harry... I don't know about Ron." Hermione argued but [Name] waved her fawning away, laughing softly.

"Yeah yeah, I know, I love you too. But it's not a big deal, just pick me up some books, would you? And tell Ron he needs to confess his undying love for me, it's not subtle." [Name] dismissal clearly affected Hermione, who's cheeks puffed up into a cute pout and [Name] had to resist the temptation to pull on her cheek. Still, Hermione said nothing, sighing into her palm pressed to her mouth and readjusted the heavy, dusty book in her other hand. "See you later in the common room?"

"Sure... Don't go too far." Leaving it at that, she waved her friend off before going into the library, making a beeline for Ron and Harry who were already inside. Madam Pince gave [Name] a sour look before the door creaked to a close and [Name] was left to her own devices... Again. That had been happening recently, she had been missing out on all the fun and action. Nothing fun was going to happen on her walk towards the Gryffindor common room. Well, she assumed.

Walking around. Aimless. Goalless. It was doing a number on her. She didn't see the point of some stupid stone that grants immortality or endless riches or whatever. She was going with the flow of the things like riding a wave and passively watching as it grew bigger and more overwhelming before crashing down on her, burying her under a blanket of pressure for eternity.

That passiveness. That laidbackness. She was sick of it. She wanted to believe in something. In some world. In some goal. She didn't even know what careers there were in the wizarding world yet!

Potter. The last name held so much weight and she was seen as a hero in this world. She didn't feel like any hero. She had done nothing worthy. Especially for that last name, the last name the wizarding world seemed to praise so much. Her chest felt heavy when she heard it. Potter. Sometimes she questioned if she really deserved it. She had never deserved anything in her life before now. She was abandoned when her parents died, left to fend for herself with Harry who could barely fend for himself either. Vulnerable children left to the wolves of the world.

Was it strange she still felt abandoned? Even more so than before? She had no idea what she was doing. Though she didn't really care what people had to think, sometimes she wondered if she should.

"Potter." The noise coming from [Name's] throat was akin to a demonic choked scream as whipped around to see, genuinely shocked to be interacted with. Many people seemed to not approach her, whether, by awe or fear, she thought the action was unwarranted. Wizarding Adults liked to approach her, kids her own age did not. Kids older than her did not. Everyone in this school, albeit the teachers, did not.

Even so, who would have guessed? Draco Malfoy. The only person stubborn and prestigious enough to bother her apparently, over and over again. He looked briefly amused as her shock subsided at the familiar sneering face.