Dobby - the house-elf

UNEDITED

[Name] gurgled a weird noise, trying to choke an impending scream into silence but regardless, it came out as a wet gag. The little creature on her bed had alarmed her: bat-like ears, bludging green eyes the size of tennis balls, and wrinkles galore. To [Name], they looked freakish but also somehow... cute? Almost in the same way one would look at a hairless cat. But fucking hell had this creature shocked her into next Tuesday.

There was no doubt in her mind, that this was what had been watching her and Harry in her garden earlier that morning. Creepy.

[Name] glimpsed at Harry, who was also wide-eyed and at a loss for words. And as the Potter Twins stared at whatever-the-thing-was on their bed, they could hear Dudley's voice down the hall. A reminder of their shocked silence.

"May I take your coats, Mr and Mrs Mason?"

The creature slipped off the and bowed so low that the end of its long, thin and pencil-like nose touched the carpet. [Name] couldn't help but notice it was wearing an old tattered pillowcase with rips for arms and legs. It was too generous to call the old rags clothes.

"Er - hello," said Harry nervously, waving sheepishly with a lopsided smile.

"Uh, Hello?" [Name] followed, honestly unsure how to respond to finding a stranger in her room.

"Harry and [Name] Potter!" said the creature in a high-pitched voice, something the twins were sure would carry down the stairs. "So long has Dobby wanted to meet you, sir, ma'am, such an honour it is..."

"T-thank you," Harry stuttered, edging along the wall and sinking into his desk chair, next to Hedwig and Trinket, who were sleeping in their large cages. He was sending the most desperate look [Name] had ever seen on him to stand next to him but she stayed put, simply observing the creature.

"Who are you?" Harry questioned, refraining from asking 'what are you' as he knew it sounded too rude.

"Dobby, miss, just Dobby. Dobby the house-elf" said the creature.

"A house-elf?" speculated [Name] out loud. "Why not just 'Dobby the elf'? Is the house really necessary?"

"Dobby the house-elf, ma'am," Dobby repeated, "that's the name I've always been referred to."

"Oh - uh - really," said Harry, shooting his sister a glare. "Er - I don't want to be rude or anything but - this isn't a great time for us to have a house-elf or elf in our bedroom, or ask a house-elf questions." He seethed through clenched teeth. [Name], appropriately, flipped her brother the finger.

Aunt Petunia's high and false laugh sounding from the living room reminded the twins not to argue. Dobby hung his head.

"Oh no, it's not like we're not pleased to meet you," [Name] said quickly at Dobby's sudden dejection, "but... hm... is there any reason you're here?"

"Oh, yes, ma'am," Dobby said earnestly. "Dobby has come to tell you, sir, ma'am... It is difficult... Dobby wonders where to begin..."

"Sit down," Harry said politely, motioning to his bed where Milk, the poorly-but-lovingly made toy dragon, could be seen tucked under the duvet.

To the twin's horror, the elf burst into tears - very noisy tears.

"S-sit down!" he wailed. "Never...never ever..."

[Name] began sweating buckets as she could have sworn the voices downstairs falter.

"Hey hey hey hey!" [Name] frantically whispered, hands fanning the creature as if to cool his vigorous reaction. "There's no need for tears. Just, please, tell us, quietly, what's wrong." She tried to ease, but it came out as seething, like hissing at touching a hot kettle.