Letters From No One

The escape of the boa constrictor had earned the twins their longest-ever punishment. By the time they were allowed out of the cupboard again, the summer holidays had begun and Dudley had broken numerous toys he had gotten for his birthday. But the cupboard wasn't too bad, (Name) thought, because of Harry, she always had company

Harry was glad school was over because there was no escaping Dudley's gang, and their favourite sport: Harry-hunting. He somewhat felt envious of his twin, who did not receive the same treatment from Dudley's big and stupid friends. As much as Dudley hated (Name) like Harry, his gang didn't exactly feel the same way. They were actually rather intimidated by her. Harry like to think it was because she was a girl and hitting one was out the question but (Name), who was more perceptive than her brother, knew it was because they all secretly fancied her. In the meantime, (Name) considered these feelings laughable if they would torment her brother behind her back and still think they even had a chance with her. Newsflash: they never did.

This is why Harry stuck close to (Name) during school, Dudley's gang never approached him if she was around, therefore, she somewhat acted like a bodyguard. Somehow, he nevertheless would find himself separated from her in the worst times. Dudley's gang would visit the house every single day and she wasn't glued to his hip. And (Name) was fully aware of this, and as much as she would like to improve things, there wasn't a lot she could do.

This was why the twins spent as much time as possible out of the house, wandering around and talking, providing each other with the little rays of hope that kept them going. Often, the two ambled to the nearby library because (Name) had a passion for reading, books and literature in general. Another thing Harry admired her for, she always seemed to do better than him in school. When September came, the two would finally be off to secondary school and away from the Dursleys for the first time in their lives. (Name) didn't care where they went, as long as it was with Harry. However, something unpleasant would always linger on her mouth, thinking off new ways their aunt and uncle could disrespect them more.

Almost later that month, where Dudley had received new knickerbockers for school, the twins uniforms were dirty rags swimming in grey water. (Name) lip pulled in disgust at the horrible smell wafting from the tub in the sink, where the "uniforms" bobbed on the coloured liquid.  

"What's this?" Harry asked their aunt. Her lips tightened as they always did if they dared to ask a question.

"Your new school uniforms," she said. 

Harry opened his mouth to ask more questions but (Name) nudged him lightly in the side, shaking her head. It was best not to ask questions or argue. So she merely told him quietly how Aunt Petunia was dyeing Dudley's old things. It would not be a good look on the first day at their secondary - like they were wearing bits of elephant skin, maybe. Harry murmured an, "oh, right." Before the two sat down at the table and attempted to not think about it much. Uncle Vernon was reading his newspaper, like normal. Dudley was being, well, Dudley.

They heard the click of the letter-box and flop of letters on the doormat. "Get the post-Dudley," said Uncle Vernon from behind his paper.

"Make Harry get it."

"Get the post, Harry."

"Make Dudley get it."

"I'll get it," (Name) stood up and went to get the post, the conversation was getting them nowhere. Harry hesitantly joined her, something guilty nagging in the back of his mind. Three things lay on the doormat: a postcard from Uncle Vernon's sister, Aunt Marge, (who (Name) despised), a brown envelope that appeared to be a bill and - a letter for the twins. 

The twins apprehensively shared a look before Harry picked it up, both of them staring at it intently. "No one had ever written us a letter before," said (Name), her heart increasing in pace. "Who would?"