Chapter Seventy Two

[A/N] Quick note. I wanted to say this immediately but I thought two authors notes in a row would start making this book look like a journal.

After getting it off my chest I felt better, I took a risk because I was expecting the people who felt annoyed with me to be the ones in the comment section. Thank you to every one leaving your warm supportive comments.  I didn't reply to any of them because I knew I would sound like an parrot saying thank you over and over.

I read through all of them and when I'm feeling down I'll read through all of them again.  

(〃◡ ‿ ◡〃)

It was quiet outside the secluded room being used as the medics office. Nothing but a vague rustling of leaves and the dripping from the slightly damaged rain pipes above, and the invisible roar of the wind in the remote distance.

Darker as it was now it should have been harder to see than it was but I had no trouble. Everything in me was being pulled towards it, the delicious scent still brushing my fingers, promising me more the closer I got, it almost distracted me from my first motivation. Fear.

I took a deep breath, inhaling the scent as I was pulled along it's trail, and I knocked on the door.

Nothing, only silence. I turned the handle and the door creaked a little as I opened it.

It wasn't a room in the main house and it showed. It had a low warm light coming from the orange lampshade and the floor was had a soft blue carpet that didn't match the rest of the house. In the middle of the room towards the left wall there was a bed, and the rest of place was filled with medical equipment that almost made it look like a temporary storage room. A stretcher, a tub of bandages and little boxes and bottles, something that looked like an iron sat in the corner on a small table along with a couple transparent plastic boxes with more medical supplies sitting, well organised and safely tucked away.

And then there was Kerberos, still in his panther form, still looking like a feature of death sitting quietly, curled up on the carpet of the floor beside the lamp, as if he wished it were a fireplace. He looked up and his eyes flashed in the darkness, the gold seemed white for a moment, fierce eyes that made my hear jolt in my chest, a flutter of relief knowing that he had his eyes on me, and a stifling moment of fear that he might just snap my head off with his powerful jaw.

He started growling, low and steady at first. I raised my hands. "I need to talk to you." I pleaded. "I have to talk to you."

He took a slow step backwards, growling louder, almost a grating hum, so that the sound filled my head and made my heart race, apprehension compounding with a pinch of uneasiness.

But even though I knew it might be a bad idea to have given in and chased down his scent I couldn't get myself to leave, even taking a step backwards was too difficult for me. The scent of the man wrapped around myself and it felt like it tickled my chest with pleasure, I wanted to hug him and take a deep breath, know he was safe and okay.

Somehow I knew he was still injured even though I couldn't see the wound. His eyes were guarded but heated, there was a slow burning fire in that look, I could feel the warmth of it on my skin.

I inhaled deeply. "Someone needs to listen to me about this. I know I'm new to all this stuff but I'm not dumb, Ker, you need to listen to me."

He growled again.

"Ker!" I shouted, stepping towards him.

He bared his teeth, growling loudly. I thought he might just bite me if I didn't leave and almost jumped backwards before he suddenly flopped down on the floor, his growl turning into a huff. Annoyed but relenting, no longer looking at me.