Chapter Five

After I'd finished eating Wisp took my hand and lead me into the living room, all the while talking to me and trying to make some sort of a conversation with me.

It felt like maybe she didn't get out that much because her questions always came off slightly odd and I couldn't do much else but give her awkward unprepared answers. But it always took me some time to warm up to new people.

I mean, kissing is different from talking you know? I don't like the act of using my brain.

"So, is it only men that you like?" She asked me out of the blue. That was a big leap from what cartoons I liked.

I bit my lip. "Not... Not- I don't think so?" To be honest I wasn't too sure.

Back when I was still enrolled in high school I used to have a girlfriend. Sure that only lasted three months but it never really went sour, she was a year older than me and finally was able to move back up and eventually I didn't trust that she was faithful anymore and just left her.

The kissing wasn't bad, I liked the feel of her body pressed against mine and I was pretty sure the sex would have been great if I'd had the initiative to try for some. But then I only really noticed men...

She nodded. "Good, good." Then turned away and muttered, "There will be lot's of females too."

I hesitated in front of the couch, she pulled me down beside her and I bounced on the sofa. It was really a really nice sofa, black leather with a tug up foot seat. One of those comfy pieces of furniture that almost make you want to try sleeping on it through the night just once to prove to yourself that it really does kill your back.

I watched as she flicked through the channels on the widescreen TV in front of us with her long black painted nails.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked her.

She nodded and turned to look at me for only a second before turning back to the screen. "I'm not sure if I can answer but ask away."

I froze for a moment. I tensed then began to calm, to relax, like there was a presence watching over me to calm my frayed nerves.

"Why am I here?"

She chuckled. It was a nervous chuckle. "If I explained that all to you right now your head would explode."

I groaned. "I don't like this."

"Don't like what."

"Not knowing what I'm in for." I hunched over and covered my face with my hands. "Shit. I need to go."

"Not to be rude... But... What are you really missing? This place is great and I've heard about your money problems."

I cringed when she said 'money problems'. I didn't like to call it that. I like to call it 'financial imposition'...

"It's not that. This place is way better than the shit hole I lived in. It's just not knowing what I'm doing here. The hints your big guy keeps dropping feel blatant but are really the most vague things he could offer... I..."

She put a hand on my back and rubbed slightly. "Don't worry, you'll be fine. I've come across four katam in my life and I've never witnessed one leave lonely." She winked at me.

I stared at her. "You're doing that thing with the hints. Will no one spare me?!" I groaned. "It's like all you guys speak in tongue."

"You don't need to know right now."

"Trust me Wisp, I really do."

She sighed. "Why? Just relax a little. I can take you down to the pool and we can swim a little or something."