Chapter Fifty Three

[A/N] Merry Christmas and a ho ho ho ho! Hope you're all enjoying your trees and baubles and everything. XOX

Wisp and the others all joined us to eat together and we quickly ran out of chairs and room at the table in the dining room. It was cosy though, and if I wasn't desperately trying to hide how uncomfortable I was being near people, accidentally brushing up against them and just feeling my own skin.

I felt warmer than usual, my skin felt more sensitive. It wasn't extreme but it was enough to bother me and make me paranoid that someone else would notice.

The conversation was a great distraction though, everyone seemed to have a lot to talk about. In particular the guys from the tahan had a lot to talk about with Axle and Wisp and the others. Apparently they didn't get to talk much because their schedules never usually lined up. Along with the fact that the tahan were almost always busy doing work.

"Not hard work." Callum explained through a mouthful of food. "It's fine. It's mainly just patrolling the grounds and training. We basically act in the same capacity as a security guard. If it comes down to it we can fight. We also train the youngers ones that want to join. No one's finished training yet though, not in a while. Takes some time."

I nodded as he spoke, scoffing down my eggs at a speed that made me wonder if my stomach had just increased dimensions so that I could eat an unlimited amount of breakfast. And I was still absolutely ravenous.

Because I was so distracted with eating I completely missed him staring at me out of the corner of my eye, Hitam not Callum. He was just watching me quietly, eating more politely than the rest of us, making good use of the fork which I was using less to pierce the food and more as a shovel.

I swallowed my food when I realised, some of it going down unchewed. I cringed.

This was weird. I was acting weird, right? That was why he was looking at me.

They knew I was... in heat or however they described it, so I shouldn't be so worried about appearing as though I was a little abnormal. He was safe I didn't need to worry.

But he seemed guarded the way he watched me so I turned full to him. "What is it?" I asked him.

I smiled and shook his head. "Nothing. Enjoying your food?"

I nodded.

"Good." He got up out of his seat. "You want me to fill up the water jug?"

I was thirsty, but I also wanted to ask him what was up. I frowned. "No- well, yes."

"Okay." He nodded, grabbing the empty water jug and heading towards the kitchen in one smooth motion.

I got up as well, more clumsily than he. "Ah- I'll come too." I told him and followed.

While he was pouring water into the jug under the tap I walked up beside him. His posture was tense and he looked worried. "What is it?" I asked.

He eyed me up from the side and there was brief pause. "I don't really..."

"What?"

He frowned. "It doesn't matter... It's... ah, it's okay."

I shook my head. "Something's bothering you. Let me know what it is."

More awkward silence as he filled the jug.

"Just talk to me." I said, lowering my voice.

He sighed, setting the full jug on the space where the drying rack normally was. "I mean. You and Kerberos..."