Chapter Twenty One

My brother.

The timing...

Was it even bad timing? It felt as though the past few days I had been getting chucked around by the sea of life, being thrown in all directions, dragged under and thrown on shore and for the moment I... well I think, there was a moment of peace. A breather if you will, till the shit comes flying in from the upper echelons of the earth.

Why shouldn't my brother call and destroy it.

I looked up at Ker and he nodded but instead of leaving the room he walked over to the corner of the room and sat down in an armchair and looked at me expectantly, crossing his legs and placing his intertwined hands on his knee.

Talking to my brother in front of him... the thought made me anxious. The man didn't need any more information on me and my checkered past. At some point he's got to think, that's it, I've had enough of him. I wanted to make sure that time came as late as possible.

"It's my brother..." I told him quickly, heavily implying I didn't want him to hear our conversation.

Ker frowned and indicated towards the bathroom connected to the bedroom. 

Breathing a sigh of relief I jogged over and shut the door.

I picked up the phone.

"Hello," I murmured quietly.

"Finally," Came through the other line, clearly and loudly. I would have turned the volume down but I felt that might seem suspicious.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Well that's friendly."

"Yeah, because you were so helpful last time we talked."

He sniffed, "I gave you an ultimatum, a drug test or no money. I'm not letting you waste my money on something disgusting and useless."

"I'm not on drugs." I hissed.

"Whether you are or you aren't... if you aren't willing to prove to me the contrary you probably are. That's how I see it."

"Well you should be able to take me at my word. There's no damn reason to think I'm on drugs!"

"Oh yeah, because your behaviour has been so stable these past few years there's absolutely no reason to think that something could be causing it."

"I haven't been that bad. You overreact to everything I do. It's like you want me to get addicted to crack and live in the sewers or something. It doesn't even matter to you if I succeed or anything. I'm just always in the wrong to you." He always did this. Always started every conversation with some kind of subtle condemnation and then followed it up with just annoying me until I shouted at him and couldn't bare listening to his condescending tone any longer.

"Maybe you need to learn how to take some advice."

"Maybe you need to stop looking down on me all the goddamn time." Arsehole.

"Maybe I would if you didn't choose to pick all of the worst choices in life and defend them so strongly."

I grit my teeth. "I. Don't."

He laughed. "You don't huh, tell me what kind of run down zoo are you living now? Are you even still living in your old place? I know the landlord stopped calling me every four days to ask for your rent."

Thinking about it made me nervous, and happy, and embarrassed. I didn't have to deal with that ever again. For how long would I be free of that debt and able to freeload here simply because I had some kind of cat demon inside of me too, that remained to be seen. Either way it made me feel like I had stepped up a little in life. What would he think if he knew that I was no longer living there, that I was no longer living in those conditions at all.