You're Stuck With Me

Rayla woke up to find that she was in a hospital bed. The room was empty as far as she could see.

"You're awake," a voice to her right spoke. She turned to find Callum looking at her. "You okay?" he asked. Concern lined his face. She tried to move her legs and winced. Her leg was still hurt pretty badly but it didn't hurt as much as it did the other day. 

"Yeah, I'm fine, but how long have I been out?" she asked.

"Five hours," he responded. "You lost a lot of blood. I should have stitched it up sooner."

"No, it's fine," she said. Yesterday's events started coming back to her. Callum eating the guts of the attackers after he had killed them, him sprouting tentacles and killing that monster out in the city.  "Callum, what are you? What happened to you?"

"As you might already know, I'm a ghoul. It's a creature that feeds on human and elven flesh. as for how I became one. Yalaxy approached me with an offer. This was the day after you left actually. He offered to turn me into a ghoul, and he said that it would make me stronger. I accepted it at here we are," he said. He sounded tired.

"Why?" she asked him.

"Because I had to," he answered. "When you left, you made me realize that I was weak."

"Callum you were never weak," she tried to interrupt him but he stopped her.

"I was weak," he said. "I couldn't follow you, I couldn't help you fight. Even if I did go with you, I wouldn't have been much of a match for Viren or Claudia. If I was ever going to be of any help to you, I needed to get stronger, so I took Yalaxy's offer. The last 4 years have been a living hell, but it wasn't for nothing. I am stronger now."

"So, you did this, just to help me. Why? I never asked you to do this," she gripped the blanket. She had left to protect him, but it seems he just got himself into more trouble.

"Do you remember what I said to you after I saved you from falling off the storm spire? I told you that I loved you. I still do love you Rayla. I just wish that you would let me help you. I admit, I wasn't really capable of protecting anything, but I'm more powerful now. So, please, just let me help you. You aren't in this alone." Rayla felt like crying.

"Why," she repeated again, "Why do you still love me? You should hate me. I left you and on your birthday of all days. Why aren't you angry with me at all?"

"I was never angry with you. I was angry at myself. I was angry that I wasn't strong. I was angry that I didn't have the ability to follow you. I was angry that I couldn't make you feel like you weren't alone. I was never angry with you though, I was just sad, that you didn't want my help," Callum finished. "You don't have to worry about protecting me anymore Rayla. If you have to leave again, all I'm asking is that I can go with you."

"No, Callum I'm trying to keep you safe. Why can't you see that-"

"That what? Rayla. That somehow sacrificing yourself is a better alternative then me helping you. Have you ever stopped to think about how everyone else feels when you do something like that. I was crushed when you left. I just wish that you didn't try to hide how you really feel all the time. I know how much it hurts for you right now. I guess, what I'm saying is, I wish you trusted me." Rayla didn't know what to say. He was right, even when she lived with him for those few months, she never truly opened up to him. She was stupid not to see it. Callum would do anything for her. When ever she felt like she had nothing, there he was, reminding her that she always had something. He comforted her, he did dark magic to save her life, heck, he even jumped of the storm spire to save her life, and now, he turned into a ghoul just to help her gain closure with her own problems.

"I don't deserve you. You deserve someone who won't run away after you've done so much for them. You deserve to be happy," Rayla tried to push him away. He frowned.

"No, I don't. I've killed more people then I care to count.  I can't eat normal food and need I remind you that I turned our attackers into my lunch, or did that detail go unnoticed?" he was irritated now. "I am a ghoul and that means I have to kill to eat. So I should be the one saying that I don't deserve you, but I still want to help you." he said his voice softening. The tension in the room was to high. He need to relieve it and he had an idea. He got up walked dover to her. He was standing right next to her now. He leaned down and sniffed her. She backed up in surprise. "Hm, " he muttered.

"What the hell was that for?" Rayla asked. Since when had Callum become so bold.

He didn't answer. "You know, you smell like what berries used to smell like. After I turned into a ghoul, normal food tasted and smell absolutely disgusting. But you remind me of the scent of berries." Rayla was shocked. Was he planning on eating her. No, that was a stupid thought. Callum laughed. "You should see your face right now. It's priceless. Anyways," he moved to sit down next to her, and he pulled her into a hug. "If you leave again, I'll follow you, and unlike last time I'll catch up. I have your scent now. Whether you like it or not I'm here for you." Rayla hugged him back. Rayla started crying.

"You know, I've dreaded what this moment would be like. I thought you'd yell at me to go away and that you didn't want me around anymore. I told you to move on, but I had secretly hoped that you wouldn't even though I had no right," she said. "I don't deserve it, but thank you, for everything," she said as she hugged him.

"Glad I could help," he said. He pulled away and wiped the tears from her face with his thumb. He leaned in, half expecting her to pull away, but she didn't. He kissed her. They both realized how much they missed this, how much they missed each other. Rayla noted the metallic taste on his lips, it was probably from blood, but she didn't care. He was here, and he forgave her. She pulled away first when she needed air. They were both breathing heavily. "You know, you taste like berries too," he said and Rayla moved to hit him with her pillow.