Chapter 816 (November 14, 2020)

The Next Morning - Hermann's POV: As I finish getting everything from the firehouse for Matt and Gabby, I smile when I get a call from Cindy. "Morning beautiful." She chuckles when I say that. "You wouldn't be saying that if you saw me. I had a rough night." I sighed. "Which one of the is sick and is it more serious than a cold?" She knew exactly what I meant. "No, it's just Annabelle was up all night and threw up a bit."

I was relieved, I was worried about bringing COVID home to the family. Chief knew that if that ever happened, I needed to say home just like Matt even though I was now officially a Captain. Matt's letter of recommendation worked and I replaced him. "Okay, well we can deal with that later. I just wanted to let you know I'll be a bit later than normal. Have to make a stop at Matt and Gabby's place. You remember those books?"

She sighed and knew. "You are finally going to drop them off after what...having them in the car for the past month and a half?" I sighed and nodded. "Yes, and I am also going to give Matt his fire jacket. Since he's no longer here as a fireman...he wants it as memorabilia. But listen, I am going to have to let you go. I want to get this done as soon as possible so I can be there to help with homework since I am off work today."

Cindy was happy when I said that. "Yes, please. I will let you go. Need breakfast?" I smiled. "I would never say no to some of your delicious breakfast. See you soon." Cindy was glad. "See you later." After hanging up, I went to grab everything I needed to bring to Matt and Gabby's and then carried it out. Mouch saw I had a lot in my arms and looked at me. "Need help?"

I turned to look at him and nodded. "Sure, can you grab Matt's jacket? I am dropping it off at his place." He agreed and smiled. "Who would've thought that he would get his pension before us?" I sighed and looked at him. "It wasn't his fault remember? It was his health. His lungs." We both nodded. "It's these times that you count your blessings. I mean, we are twice his age and have been fighting fires twice as long yet, we are still healthy."

I nodded and agreed, smiling. "My plan is to retire when it gets too hard to run after my kids." We both smiled. "My plan is to retire when you retire. That's how I am judging things. If you have to retire...with you being much lighter than me, I know it's time for me to hang up my jacket too." We both nodded and agreed when we got to my car. "Keep safe and say hi to Trudy for me." We both smiled and nodded. "Same to you. Say hi to Cindy." 

After grabbing everything for Matt and Gabby from Mouch, I loaded it into my car and then went to get in the driver's seat so that I could drive to Matt and Gabby's place.