Ch 19 The Hanley Family Breaks

Monday May 6, before dinner, Orion caught Albus's eye, giving him a look, and the two of them left the Slytherin dorm, one at a time, and met when they were alone in a hallway. Albus took Orion by a little used passage to a room that was unoccupied, and asked, "What is going on?" after the door closed behind them.

"Delores Hanley wants to talk to you," Orion replied. "In private. She does not want anyone else to know."

"Tell her that I can meet her the same way we are meeting,"

Albus thought for a few moments, then proposed. "Have her catch my eye tomorrow after dinner. I will leave shortly after she leaves, and catch up with her when no one else is around."

As was usual with these meetings, Albus and Orion came back to the Slytherin dormitory at different times.

The next night Delores Hanley looked at Albus, and he almost imperceptibly nodded to her.

Albus whispered to Scorpius, "I am leaving alone." Scorpius nodded that he understood.

Albus walked out of the dormitory and headed towards the main floor. Eventually he waited, but Delores was not in sight. Other people were around, so he kept on walking. Albus arrived at the door to the Main Hall when his Elf Frerin motioned for Albus to follow him. Albus went up two flights of stairs and headed towards the room where he and Orion had met. Once they were alone, Frerin told Albus, "Dis, Cleo's Elf, is leading Delores Handley here. I heard Orion talking to you, and noticed Delores and you. Elves that serve a master like you notice these things."

"I'm embarrassed that you have to watch me so carefully," Albus admitted, "but I am very glad you have."

"You did not chose to be famous or in danger," Frerin countered. "I chose this job. It makes me happy when I help you."

"Thank you," Albus replied.

A short time later Delores came into the room, following Dis, the Elf that usually shadowed Cleo.

"I see you followed Dis, Cleo's Elf," Albus remarked.

"It is like no one noticed the house elf," Delores observed when she saw Albus. "Thank you for sending her to lead me here."

"Have you introduced yourself?" Albus asked Dis.

"I am Dis, the Elf that usually shadows Cleopatra Desiree Smith," Dis responded, talking directly to Delores. "Thank you for following me."

"You said, 'follow me to Albus,'" Delores replied. "I do not usually notice house elves, but I have seen you with Albus and his girlfriend. I'm taking a big risk meeting Albus, but it may be riskier not meeting with Albus."

"I need to get back to Miss Cleopatra," Dis announced.

"You ought to thank Dis for bringing you here," Albus informed Delores.

"We were taught never to thank a house elf," Delores protested, looking at him in shocked confusion.

"That is just wrong!" Albus proclaimed. "They are Elves, getting paid and clothed, and not house elves, Delores. Even if they were house elves, however, it would not be wrong to thank them."

"Thank you, Dis," Delores told the Elf, marveling at the small joy it gave her to extend such simple kindness.

Dis smiled warmly at the girl and replied, "You are welcome." She then disappeared with a crack substantially quieter than normal for a house elf.

"I'm scared, Albus," Delores jumped right in with. "I am scared to talk to you, but I am even more scared of my father and brother."

"I know that the Ministry will make sure you do not have to go home if you are in danger there," Albus replied. "I've talked to my mother and father about bad parents and guardians. Would your father really hurt you?"