CASEY

"Please tell me you're not dead right now," a weary voice startles me awake. I had just dozed off too.

"What?" I ask blearily, my eyes taking longer than normal to focus.

"Thank God," I think I hear Creed murmur as he slowly comes into focus. When my eyes finally work right he gives a slight smile, but even that seems to take too much energy. "Parker told me he brought you here and according to your chart you have a concussion," he frowns as he looks me over. I feel a heat creep into my cheeks but he doesn't seem to be paying attention to that and continues instead, "I thought you weren't supposed to sleep if you have a concussion."

"I thought that too," I say, my voice heavy with exhaustion. I sit up slowly, pulling a pillow to wedge in behind me. "Apparently, that is a very outdated way of thinking."

"Good to know," Creed nods his head and pulls his chair closer to my bedside.

For a moment neither of us says a word then as one it's like we can't hold back anymore. "Are you okay?" we both ask and I watch in surprise as a small smile takes over Creed's face.

"You are the one in the hospital wing Casey,"

"So? Your brother is back," I shake my head, ignoring the pain. I lean forward and cover his hand with mine. "This is amazing, right?"

"Yeah," he seems breathless, like he doesn't know what to think. He doesn't say anything else but his eyes endlessly move around the room, taking everything in. It's almost like no matter how hard he tries, he can't actually calm down, he can't settle. I really don't know what to do. I want to talk, but I'm tired and judging by the bags under Creed's eyes, he's worse off than I am. He looks at me for a moment, so many unreadable emotions in his eyes before he seems to agree with himself on something. "I just wanted to check in on you. I'm so sorry, Casey, for all you've been through. I-"

"Stop," I interrupt him softly, though my words are stern. "Don't you dare blame yourself for anything that happened. None of it was your fault and I know, not one of us believes it is. So just... don't."

Something plays over Creed's features, but for the life of me, I can't read it either. He sits there for a moment, stunned and quiet before giving a nod of his head. He stands and pulls me to him in a gentle hug whispering, "Thank you."

I don't remember him pulling away. I barely remember responding to him at all. It was like when he released me, all the comfort and exhaustion filled my body once more and my eyes closed once more.

~~~~

"So, how are you feeling today?" Stevie asks, putting two cups of coffee on the table between us.

I sigh, "Ready for people to stop babying me. It's been three days and I was released from the hospital wing, so clearly, I'm fine."

"We baby because we care," Stevie rolled her eyes, but I saw the small smile she was trying to hide behind the brim of her mug. She cleared her throat after taking a sip and straightened a little, leaning forward, "Have you seen Creed since?"

"No," I shake my head and glance around the breakfast room. "As far as I can tell no one really has. Have you?"

"Nope," she pops the 'p' and it gives her a strangely casual tone.

"Have you seen anyone?" I ask, a gut feeling kicking in.

"No! Who do you think I would be seeing?" Stevie asks but there's just something a bit off about her answer.

I shrug, "I don't, just a hunch I guess."

Stevie gives me an evaluating look when Beatrice and Isaac walk in and clap to get our attention.