CREED

"I've got you."

Bile rose in my throat as I glanced down at my clothing. I was covered in mud and human excrement.

"Stay with me."

The weight of my AK-47 on my back was a comfort. It grounded me in a way I couldn't explain.

"Please."

Tears stung my eyes as I waited in the now familiar hospital waiting room.

"Dad, please."

This has been one of the hardest two weeks of my life. Last week I was dealing with Moarta and the Peace Talks. And now this.

"It's me. Creed."

I sucked in a shuddering breath. Suddenly, the white of the walls and the stillness of the late night seemed like too much.

"I'm your son."

The wild look in his eyes was the only thing that I could see when I closed my eyes. It would haunt me for weeks to come.

"Please."

A part of me wanted to run. I almost needed to run. To escape and never look back. I wouldn't maybe then be able to finally get rid of this ache in my chest.

"Try to remember."

But I couldn't run. Too much counted on me. Too many people were watching me. Too many would get hurt.

"I'll keep you safe, Dad."

Running a hand through my hair, I clenched my jaw to keep from shuddering. I could barely think straight. I didn't know how to process these emotions.

"I promise."

I glanced again at the door to his room. If I could go in and see him. Maybe I'd be able to ease this ache.

"Dad. I'm so sorry."

This time, I couldn't hold back my sobs. Eyes blurring, I leaned my body against the wall.

"I failed you."

My shoulders shook as the cries tore at my body. My eyes were open but I couldn't see anything through the salty tears.

"I should have protected you."

Covering my mouth with my hand, I tried to muffle my sobs. It wouldn't look good if someone were to hear and spread the news that the crown prince was having a breakdown.

"It should have been me."

I let myself cry. For Dad. For Sebastian. For Tristan. For Annie and my mom.

"It should have been me, Dad."

I cried for the country. For the families who had been fractured and torn apart. For the loved ones who were gone. For the children who would never know a parent.

"I'm sorry."

I cried for me. For the person that I had been. For the dreams that would never be realized. For the future I now had.

"I'll get you out of here, Dad."

No one came into the waiting room as I cried. No one disturbed me. No one witnessed my weakness.

"I won't fail this time."

And eventually, my sobs lessened and I wiped my face. For the next couple days, I had to be the strong one. I had to be the one who carried everyone else.

"I promise, Dad."

Straightening my shoulders, I tucked the rest of my roiling emotions away and breathed deeply. I had always known my role. I was the only one with shoulders that were strong enough to bear this alone.

"I'll carry them, Dad. I promise."