EFFIE

I finger the curtains, pulling them along with me as I walk through the hallway. They finally ran out, and I let my hand drop to my side. I look down the aisle to all the people sitting in the pews, waiting.

It's a lot easier for me to wait standing.

Creed is getting married today. He and Casey would wed in less than twenty minutes, and as happy as I am to be here, to witness the ceremony, there is a huge part of me that wishes I wouldn't have gotten the invite. At least that way I could mourn privately.

Ever since I met Creed, he had always been a huge part of my life, even if he didn't know it. It was hard, being here during the selection knowing that at the very end, my man would be choosing a wife, and wouldn't be me.

I bite my lip, staring at the clock. Eighteen more minutes.

The church is very pretty. It was decorated early last night and I was able to sneak in and take a peek. It was very white and floral, flowers placed everywhere. I imagined this would be like my wedding, nothing different.

The only difference is, I'm not the bride.

As stupid as it was, as soon as Creed got engaged, I went to a bunch of bridal shops, searching for a wedding dress as if I was the next person getting hitched. It was a fun experience, but I always left each shop feeling more and more hollow.

Maybe I'll find love. Maybe I'll be able to move on, and be happy. Maybe my life won't always consist of me never getting the guy.

But for now, I'll stay here, enjoy the wedding. Or, at least the food.

I glance at the clock again. Fifteen minutes.

Everyone is so beautifully dressed. I, myself, am wearing a long pink dress that reaches my ankles. I wanted to secretly match the bridesmaids until I realized that they are wearing a completely different color.

But I still love my dress.

Time seems to tick on slower than ever, but soon it's time for everyone to be seated, so I reluctantly go to my vacant seat, and sit down. I straighten my dress and make sure my hair is still okay. Then I straighten, turning around, wanting to get a look at Creed as he walks down the aisle.

There he is. In a slick black tux. He looks handsome.

I can't help my smile as he walks down. I want to catch his eye, but he looks forward, not looking at anyone. That's just like him too.

I imagine myself walking down the aisle to meet him, as his bride.

The bridesmaids walk down after a few more minutes.

Then we all stand, welcoming the bride.

I hold my breath when I see Casey. She looks beautiful in her wedding dress, and I don't even think she could get any prettier. I try my best to feel envy, but I can't. She's too sweet, too innocent, and she doesn't deserve that.

Not on her wedding day.

I look at Creed's face. He looks the happiest I have ever seen him.

That's when I realize that maybe we were never meant to be. That Casey is the girl for him, and if she truly makes him happy, how can I not be?

So as Casey walks down the aisle to her future husband, I put on a smile.

And hope the pain that comes afterwards will soon fade.