chapter one

The Reaping

The Reaping

  IT HAD BEEN TWO YEARS SINCE THE NIGHT OF AMARANTH'S whipping, two years since the end of the 65th annual Hunger Games, or at least, almost two years. Today was the day of the reaping, the beginning of the end for a large group of teens. The day their fates would be decided by a small little balled up piece of paper.

Everyone in district eleven lined up in front of the stage quietly, awaiting the escort for their area. The womans name was Twinkle Hightower, a lady born in the capital, a woman who had no idea what kind of hell each citizen had to go through on a daily basis. She was also the woman who chose from the clear bowl of names, the person who'd pick who the tributes were.

"Hello, is this working?" The ditzy woman asked as she tapped on the microphone before her. "Oh yes, I believe it is, wonderful!"

Twinkle giggled, keeping a happy expression on her face as she held the microphone closer, this was her job, after all.

"Now that we are all here, the time has come to choose a lucky man and woman to represent district eleven in the 67th annual hunger games, it would truly be an honor for any of you." The cheery lady said, trying to hold in even more enthusiasm from bursting out of her. "This is so exciting."

"Honor my ass." Amara mumbled underneath her breath, the girls palms sweating profusely as she wiped them on her pants. Most of the girls wore dresses but her best clothes were truly the ones that she had on.

No present mother to sew one for her, or present father to make trades to get one.

"Now, i'm sure you all know the order we do this in." Twinkle walked over to one side of the stage, a clear bowl of names in front of her. "Ladies first, as always."

The woman carefully shifted the names around the bowl before finally choosing a small piece of paper in which she would later read the name off of, carefully picking it up with her pinky in the air.

"Hm, this seems right." The Hightower woman moseyed back towards the microphone, slowly opening up the paper and reading it before she spoke, the few moments before she spoke, the silence was deafening. "Amaranth Reed!"

Amara felt like she had been hit by a truck as everyone turned to stare at her. Of course, she had wondered what it would be like to be picked but now that it was happening, it seemed like life couldn't get any worse for the girl. Her eyes widened slightly as she nodded her head, accepting that she was practically dead already.

"Come on up, darling. We're all waiting for you." Twinkle spoke enthusiastically, it was like she was trying to be demanding in the nicest way possible.