chapter six

Ratings

Ratings

TODAY WAS THE DAY AMARA WOULD RECEIVE HER "score" from the game makers. It would determine how good she would do in the games, if she put her full effort into doing it. On one hand, if she received a high score, there would be a target on her back and on the other, if she got a low one, who'd want to sponsor her?

The Reed girl ran all of these possible scenarios through her mind as she walked inside. All the game makers in a room with a glass window above her. Some halted their conversations and others talked along, not giving her any mind.

She was district eleven, after all.

Amara sighed as she approached the climbing section, climbing slowly as possible. While it was her intention to fall into Creed's arms the day before, she was still afraid that she'd fall. Only thing is, this time, nobody would be there to catch her.

"Come on, Mara. Don't mess this up." She mumbled to herself. The girl had decided to get herself an average score. Don't try too hard but get high enough that a sponsor would vouch for her. A seven would be enough, right?

The girl started to pick up the pace as she climbed, it was natural instinct by now, having gone up and down trees her whole life. Once she reached the top, she looked back and all the game makers had lost interest. They didn't care about the fact that she'd be dying soon.

So, instead of climbing back down, the girl sucked in a deep breathe and jumped.

To make things even better, she landed on her feet. Almost like a cat with nine lives, she had gone down about 40 feet without a scratch. Take that you snooty, no good, game makers.

The group of people were finally looking at her, some of them even clapping at her little show. The girl smiled slightly to herself before moving on to the knife throwing station, Mercy had taught her how to quite well so Amara figured this would be a good skill to show off, hopefully.

"You can do this." Amarath took in a deep breath once again. "You are doing so good already."

The Reed girl picked up a sharp knife, narrowing her eyes at the target before her. She put her arm back, matching it up with the line she was supposed to hit and launched her arm forward, hoping for the best. Thankfully, it hit the neck of the target, enough for a kill if she needed it but, not enough to do it right away.

She repeated the same motion once again, letting out a sigh of relief as the knife hit the board again. She got it directly in the middle of the board, silently cheering for herself as she did. Amara held in a smile as she stepped away from the station, walking over to the plant section, her expertise of course.

Eventually, she had identified each and every one of the plants displayed in the room correctly. She glanced up yet again, some of the game makers writing notes and some staring at her while conversing. She figured that was enough, not too much not too little she kept repeating to herself over and over again.