chapter four

Training Time

Training Time

  THE NEXT MORNING, BASIL AND AMARA WERE brought to the training center. Over the next few days, they would be able to perfect their skills, work hard, and gain the favor of game makers and sponsors. They could also observe their opponents train too.

"I get you two have the whole buddy buddy thing going on but, only one person can come out if that arena." Lennox sighed and placed his fingers on his temple. "So, the question that I have to ask you is, do you want to train apart or together?"

Amaranth looked around, scanning the area with all the other tributes before looking back towards Basil, both of them nodding their heads at each other in agreement.

"Together." They both said at the same time.

"Are you sure?" The Blaise man raised a slight brow. He hated his fellow tribute when he was in the games so he didn't quite understand why they cared about training together.

"Yup, we have to be a team or we aren't going to survive down there." Amara said in a low voice, making sure district eleven's plans stayed between district eleven. "Think about it, us and district twelve are the underdogs, everybody is going to come after us if we are alone."

"We're weak, we almost never eat, and we aren't as healthy as them." Basil continued, nodding towards the vultures staring at them. "We need each other."

"Neither of you are weak. You look it but, what do you think helps you climb those trees everyday? Muscles. What do you think keeps you going on those long nights? Strength." Lennox smiled slightly, accepting their plan. "But, if you two think you're better as a unit, hell, go for it."

"We will." Amara nodded a bit, crossing her arms confidently.

"Alright, hurry up, there is stations for anything you'll need to learn. I'll come back down to get you in a few hours. Don't show off too much of what you can do, leave some things a mystery." The Blaise man saluted them lazily and turned around, walking off to probably go and grab a drink.

"What's first?" Basil asked as the Reed girl tied up her hair into a tight ponytail.

"You up for a spar?" Amaranth asked, already walking towards the area with mats.

"I guess." The Covyn boy nodded and they stepped onto the mats, standing across from each other.

The two teens bowed at each other jokingly and then they began, Amara threw the first punch and Basil caught it. He twisted her arm behind her back and swiped his leg under hers, making the girl fall to the ground. He laughed but, that was enough for Amara to bring him down with her with the slightest pull of his arm.

"Got ya." Amaranth spoke with a slight grin.

"This time, you got me this time." Basil corrected, rubbing his head lightly, letting himself chuckle.