chapter ten

Making Plans

Making Plans

AMARA AND CREED KNEW THEY'D BE STUCK IN THE cave for awhile. For some reason, Shine was hellbent on making the Reed girl suffer, and she realized that probably meant killing the people she cared about before getting to her. The girl hoped Basil was okay, they hadn't heard any cannons for hours so, that was a pretty good sign.

"Tell me what happened." Amaranth spoke up as her her friend set the canister of water down beside him.

"Which part? We've haven't seen each other for hours." Creed was trying to make light of the situation, if he got serious, he was afraid he wouldn't be able to come back from it.

"I want to know what happened to Mercy, how did she die?" Amara side eyed the boy, his body tensing at the question.

"I told you, Shine killed her at the Cornucopia." The Sparrow boy looked off into the distance, his mind obviously somewhere else.

"There is something you aren't telling me." The Reed girl paused, turning her whole body to face him. "We are supposed to trust each other, just say it."

"She sold us out, okay?" Creed sighed, running a hand over his face. "She talked to the Careers, traded us to keep her alive, Shine said something about watching out for my friends before she slit her throat right in front of me. I—... she was my friend, Amara. Our friend, and I don't want to remember her as a traitor."

"That's why you didn't tell me?" Amaranth, reached forward, placing her hand on his, a frown on her face.

"Yeah, didn't want you to remember her that way either." The Sparrow boy shook his head. "It doesn't matter anymore, we're both goners anyways, right?"

"No." Amara shook her head. "You can't think like that, it'll never get either of us anywhere."

"So what is the plan? Because I have no idea what to do at this point." Creed sighed, letting his fingers wrap around the other girls, both their hearts beating faster.

Amara couldn't tell if it was the near death experience, or boy right next to her but, she knew she needed to keep it together.

"We find Basil and we stay alive." The Reed girl nodded her head, trying to hope for the best. "Figure it out along the way."

"That's really hopeful." A small smile creeped up on the boys lips as he leaned in slightly, Amara stiffening at the gesture.

"I'm trying something new." She responded, watching as the boy pushed a strand of hair behind her ear and leaned in even closer. "What are you—"