chapter seven

The Interview

The Interview

THIS WAS IT, ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THREE minutes of Amara's life was coming up. Her hands were shaky as Creed reached over, steadying them with his. Basil looked over, giving her a warm smile as Mercy nodded, giving her a thumbs up.

"You've got this." The Covyn boy whispered as a man came, placing his hand on Amara's back to lead her to the stage. Her hands fell away from Creed's, both of them looking at each other up until the moment the other was out of sight.

"You all know her as Panem's new it girl, please welcome, Amaranth Reed!" Caesar Flickerman announced as she started to walk on stage, hands outstretched towards her.

"It's nice to see you, Caesar." Amara smiled slightly, pulling him into a hug.

If an it girl was what they wanted, it is what they would get. Even though she had no idea what that meant, the Reed girl would preform to the best of her abilities. She would make it possible for her or one of her friends to win.

"Have a seat." He instructed, as they pulled away from each other, her in one seat and the man in the one next to her. "I have to start by saying, you look absolutely gorgeous tonight."

"I hope so, Destry, my stylist works very hard." Amara said, making the crowd laugh. They hadn't stopped since she arrived, making it hard for the girl to focus.

But of course, she didn't let it show.

"Now, everyone has seen how close you and your fellow tribute, Basil are." Caesar leaned in close, almost forgetting that he had a microphone attached to him as he wiggled his brows. "Is there something going on with you two?"

"Me and Basil? No, of course not." The girl shook her head lightly. "Him and I are like siblings, he saved me once a few years ago and he still saves me now."

"Well then, surely you have one special someone, considering how beautiful and charming you are." The Flickerman man insisted. He needed to get the juiciest bits of information from her, or else nobody would be invested in the girls story.

"I do." Amara barely let the words fall out of her mouth before waves of oo's and ahh's surrounded her. "He's actually another tribute."

"How poetic." Caesar was intrigued by this, and so was everyone else within the crowd. "His name?"

"Creed Sparrow, from district twelve." Amaranth started to smile at the mention of his name, she couldn't do that, if she started caring more about him, winning—.. no, staying alive would become much harder.